HELP! Need advise on shipping speakers

Dysmae

I live in Michigan and just recently bought a pair of WF-35s from a
Best Buy in Georgia and had my buddy that lives down there pick them
up. They are both open items. One of them has the original box. The
other one does not. What is the best way to get these shipped to me?
The one is no prob with the box, but what about the other one? Will UPS
even have a box to acommodate it? Are the foam straws enough to protect the one speaker without the foam corners inside the box for support? Any advise?

• Moderators

My advice is to go dumpster diving. Find as much packing supplies as you can and properly pack it yourself. I've never shipped floorstanding speakers but just shipping a pair of RB-35's across the country made me nervous. But they arrived safe and sound. I found thick cardboard corners, bubble wrap, foam and peanuts. I didn't use just one method of protecting the speakers. I would recommend shipping the grills separately so the weight of the speaker does not crack the grill.

Seriously, you need a plastic wrap for moisture protection

and at least three inches of foam on all sides. That should survive a six-foot

drop. You can get five packs of rigid foam (Styrofoam) insulating sheathing panels

at Home Depot and Lowes. Messy to cut. Overlap each corner. Pack snugly so item

inside does not move.

You have an original box...so you have an advantage.

I once needed to ship two Academy's. I double boxed one with 2" foam surrounding the speaker as well as surrounding the internal box. So that's 4" of this hard foam.

I shipped a SINGLE speaker to the recipient. Once we knew it worked, he shipped the empty box BACK to me and I resent the second speaker in the same box the first one went.

Cost a little more to ship the boxing back to me but it worked like a charm.

Food for thought

Well....I shipped 83's and 64 in Klipsch packing(which is just enough) about 1000 miles ups and the buyer(a member here)said the boxes looked great on delivery.I just had 82's delivered ups and the boxes were slightly wore but speakers were good.

The foam advise is good, wrapped with an outer layer of cardboard and plenty tape.

Actually, shipping the one speaker and then sending back the box for the other is a great idea. As long as the original Klipsch box will be ok for shipping. I might have my sender add some more padding. See, thats why I seek Klipsch forum guidance. [Y]