HK AVR 635 VS Onkyo TX SR702

Ironsave

Initial impressions.......

The HK auto EQ SUCKED. I have too much backround noise; including my computer; 3 cats, a water fountain (for the cats) and living near a busy street.........

But after adjusting it.........

WOW.

This thing is the Onkyo's equal in many ways........ I still miss the Onk's EQ.... a great feature that would probably put the HK over the top.....

For 2 channel..... I am crystal clear at -14db where that is close to max volume on the Onkyo (Not verified with a meter, but IMHO -14 on the HK is about 95/100 on the Onk).

I don't care what the wattage ratings are.... this thing is capable of pushing the Heresies beyond what the Onk can do. Yep. No doubt..... HK's ratings are much more accurate........

5 channel stereo never sounded so good....... No BS.... it is a thing of beauty......

Also; the sub seems to hit more effectively and I actually had to turn it down to 30% versus 60%. Sounds great.

As for more detail or definition..... I am gonna say close to a wash..... slight nod to the HK unit because it has more headroom and remains clear.

This Onk is no slouch........... Both units seperae beautifully and keep 2 channel stereo sounding AWESOME.

The final word will come in (for today) when my Woman gets home..... I am curious for her impressions.......

The HK unit is wonderful. The Onk is really good too.......

Which one is "warmer"? I am going to say they both seem nuetral to me....... (How I like it).

Trust me; my neighbors hate me right now...... I have been pushing this thing......

I will update as I test more........ But here we are..... for now.

I'm totally confused.....but congrats on the HK.I owned both these units and sold them to members/friends here.I found no comparison in the two.The 702 was a unit that I hated from the day I bought it for $200 at Circuit City. The 635 on the other hand was a lovely unit right from the start.I had three 635's I liked em' so much.I sold every one to best friends that heard them at my house.I also sold the 702 to a good friend, I told him upfront how much I disliked it, he agreed but I sold it to him cheap.He kept it a few months before it got on his nerves.Also... the 635 is about 40lbs, the 702 maybe 27lb?

That said, I own an Onkyo, for non critical listening in my garage it's fine.Sorry, I'm not trying to be an ***, I just find it very surprising these two units are even compared.

I'm totally confused.....but congrats on the HK.I owned both these units and sold them to members/friends here.I found no comparison in the two.The 702 was a unit that I hated from the day I bought it for $200 at Circuit City. The 635 on the other hand was a lovely unit right from the start.I had three 635's I liked em' so much.I sold every one to best friends that heard them at my house.I also sold the 702 to a good friend, I told him upfront how much I disliked it, he agreed but I sold it to him cheap.He kept it a few months before it got on his nerves.Also... the 635 is about 40lbs, the 702 maybe 27lb?

That said, I own an Onkyo, for non critical listening in my garage it's fine.Sorry, I'm not trying to be an ***, I just find it very surprising these two units are even compared.

I think it depends on the setup. Let me put it this way.......

I have spent almost a year getting the 702 dialed in.

In 4 hours; the HK is right there.... (Initial thoughts).

But really; the 702 has a 5 band EQ for EACH CHANNEL. This is a critical feature that equalizes the playing feild. (No pun intended).

Hell; Even my Dad's Sansui had a 3 band EQ......

Depending on your speakers.... this is a big deal. It is for me.

The 702 is 31 pounds, versus 41.

Most newer receivers are under 30 pounds; so yes I like 10 pounds more; but the Onk has been solid.

I have had the 702 for over a year.... not one issue. (Purchased used).

I plan to update the 635 (RS 232) and then decide which to sell......

The HK is really good.... But the Onk is right there,,,,,,

• Moderators

Your findings on the HK don't surprise me a bit. They are one of the most musical sounding receivers around. Enjoy!

I think so too. I've always been curious what a newer HK with the latest audio codecs would sound like vs my current Yamaha. Love the Yamaha for HT. For 2ch, it's ok. Eagles Hell Freezes Over sounds fantastic in DTS. I know I need acoustic panels but you know....the curiosity of another HK is calling out to me. LOL.

My problem is I'm cheap. I want to find a DEAL.

Thanks again my friend for sharing your thoughts on the HK. You have fanned the flame a bit for me to begin at least considering looking at an HK for my setup.

When I decided to purchase a new receiver this past November, I did consider HK. But I have read so much about their last few generations of receivers (since HDMI) being pretty buggy, so I ruled them out. I have always liked Denon as well (mid-higher end models) and got a killer deal on my AVR-3310CI.

OK, the Onkyo was just sold for $150. ($10 more than what I paid and 1 year later).

The new owner will be happy, and a fair deal was had.

The HK is definitely more musical than the Onkyo, but they both are excellent receivers........

I am using the EQ in WMP for now and may add one at some point......

It sounds STUNNING.

You were all about that 702. I sort of did what you did but in the opposite direction. Went from a pioneer elite vsx-45tx (2002 vintage at 42lbs) to a tx-sr705 (27lbs). I think the onkyo is great and can see why they are popular. I just do not think they have the juice that some other receivers have

You were all about that 702. I sort of did what you did but in the opposite direction. Went from a pioneer elite vsx-45tx (2002 vintage at 42lbs) to a tx-sr705 (27lbs). I think the onkyo is great and can see why they are popular. I just do not think they have the juice that some other receivers have

The 702 was 31 pounds; and is an awesome receiver. (I am sure the 705 is too!).

The HK in 2 channel stereo has more power. The music hits harder and is more dynamic.

I think HKs ratings are more "real world" and accurate..... (It is rated 75w x 795w x2 in stereo).

HT is a wash both REALLY good..... Again; both are awesome receivers. If I needed a receiver, I would buy another 702 (Or any similar Onkyo) in a heartbeat.

The HK is definitely more musical than the Onkyo, but they both are excellent receivers........

I am using the EQ in WMP for now and may add one at some point......

It sounds STUNNING.

I am glad you are enjoying the HK! [:)]

I just knew you would be impressed with its' sound quality...[H]

New toys are so fun, aren't they?[Y]

I am glad you are enjoying the HK! Smile

I just knew you would be impressed with its' sound quality...Cool

New toys are so fun, aren't they?Yes

Yep, I think this guy will be in the stable for a LONG time......

(Hope I am not jinxing myself).

Even when I do get seperates; I doubt I would sell it......

(It does 2 channel so fabulously).