NEWBIE 7.1 In-Ceiling install Questions

dudedah

My only point was its alway better to listen before buying to get an idea of what you are indeed getting. Obviously the room plays a huge part of the equation so the true test is always installing them at home. I say go for it. One of my brother in-laws had an all ceiling 5.1 theater system in the room connected to the kitchen. My sister, the (young) kids and him aren't the type of people to be able to sit still for 1 plus hours and watch a movie anyway. There is always a minor crisis going on, etc. It worked fine in their case and I am sure you will be impressed. You should be able to angle the tweeters to help the sound. Good luck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

We really do have a great community here and most are willing to help. One thing we all need to realize is that not everyone has the "luxury" of being able to use floorstanding or even bookshelf speakers in their room. I was blessed that it was my wife who suggested we have a dedicated theater room so she wouldn't have to look at speakers in the living room.

My guess is the Klipsch inwall/inceiling will be a huge improvement over most HTIB systems.

Awesome, thanks Carl. So here are two photos of the room taken from both ends. As you can see the room is VERY deep. The display will ALWAYS be on the wall it is on presently, although the display will change at some point. So, I was initially wondering how far behind the back of the couch to put the rear surround speakers, and I was even thinking I might put them a little deeper into the room in case I find the seating position to be too close to my future display. This same concern has me leaning towards also mounting the "side" surrounds more towards 110-degrees so that if i move the seating position back there would be enough room for them to then be at 90-degrees.

post-48582-13819638505432_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You have a very beautiful room dudedah. Very clean, classy and modern.

One thing I can see with your room setup is that it would be difficult to have floorstanding or bookshelf speakers anyways since you don't have any side walls and it would be difficult to run speaker wires to the surrounds. In ceilings are probably the best solution for the rears.

Any way you can wall mount the front three as opposed to ceiling?

I'll bet you have echo from hell in that room. Lots of hard surfaces. The room IS beautiful however.

Another rambling thought. What about just having a TV in that room and using another "less viewed" room to have your HT in? Maybe you would have a little more leeway with speakers, layout etc. Use the in ceilings in the room pictured for background music.

Any way you can wall mount the front three as opposed to ceiling?

I'll bet you have echo from hell in that room. Lots of hard surfaces. The room IS beautiful however.

Another rambling thought. What about just having a TV in that room and using another "less viewed" room to have your HT in? Maybe you would have a little more leeway with speakers, layout etc. Use the in ceilings in the room pictured for background music.

Unfortunately the wall the TV is on is up against an exterior BRICK wall so there is litterally the thickness of the drywall, 1.5" of 2"x4" and then solid brick so I have no mounting depth.

You're right, the echo cold be serve, ESPECIALLY with the speakers pointing down.

This room is the best candidate for TV viewing. The other end of the house is all bedrooms/office and too small for a theatre room, ESPECIALLY for a 7.1 setup. It's a challenging setup/room for sure, it may not win any awards for sound quality, but I'm really looking forward to what I feel will be an upgrade from my present HTIB (see, I KNEW there was an acronym for that!!).

Unfortunately the wall the TV is on is up against an exterior BRICK wall so there is litterally the thickness of the drywall, 1.5" of 2"x4" and then solid brick so I have no mounting depth.

Depending on how badly you wanted decent sound, you could always build a false wall on the display wall. You could make it deep enough for an in-wall subwoofer also. BTW, what ARE you going to do for a subwoofer?

dudedah, It might not be the ideal situation, but it will be way better than TV speakers or a HTIB. If I am understanding correctly you have all ceiling speakers. What I am not clear on is for the front three are you planning to mount them on the wall that that TV is mounted on or the actual ceiling above the TV? If the latter please consider putting your L/C/R on the wall "around" the TV. I am in the process of using Klipsch in walls (and ceiling this go round) for the second time. They strike the perfect balance between sound and divorce. My wife puts up with the huge speaker thing in other places but not in a very public space. The ceiling/wall speakers are designed to have both the trim and grill painted. Once you paint your walls/speakers you hardly see them. I loved them in my first house. I plan on making a thread with my progress to date but for now check out the following two pictures. I only wish I had on with the grills on so you could see how they disapear even without the matching paint...but I think you will get the idea by just looking at the trim piece on a wall close to the same picture.

First pick...this is what is going away. Custom built cabinet originally made for a 36 tube TV. The center part had a matcing tiger maple trim piece that hid all but the glass on the old tube TV. When it died I got a plasma, but it never quite looked right. At the old house this housed L/C/R with in walls for the surrounds. The current plan is to have this cabinet retrofitted with wine storage and doors where the TV currently is.

post-16462-13819638520406_thumb.jpg

Here is some of the progress. I'll get some pix this weekend with the grills on them. Note that the reflection on the speaker(s) is a plastic cover to keep dust/paint out during construction/painting. All the cables will be behind the TV and the old holes below will be patched for a clean look.

post-16462-13819638521026_thumb.jpg

rpBack.jpgOh forgot to mention the "hospital" looks is going away. The catalyst for this whole transition is that we are getting the entire house painted. We wanted to free up some space for more seating, so away goes the entertainment center to another room. JBart, the people who built that cabinet are up your way. They are driving down on Saturday to pick it up, take it back to Royersford, Pa for the retrofit. You need some furniture from them. Great husband and wife to work with. I found out about them when I lived in Ephrata.

http://www.signaturegalleryfurniture.com/

And dudedha, welcome and stick around. Don't the rest of you worry about my inwalls as I always have this when I am serious about watching a movie.[:P] Sorry, I just can't pass up a chance to post pix of my HT. After 6-7 years I still love it.

rpBack.jpg

Depending on how badly you wanted decent sound, you could always build a false wall on the display wall. You could make it deep enough for an in-wall subwoofer also. BTW, what ARE you going to do for a subwoofer?

Yeah, good idea but I can't see myself taking that on. As far as a sub goes I have an RW-10 presently but am eyeing up a SW-310 at Ultimate Electronics going out of bidness sale right now. It's at 40% right now, if I gets to 50% I'll probably jump on it. They also have a couple RW-308's that look intriguing as well. Specs appear to be slightly similar/better to my RW-10 and its pretty crazy small. THose are getting pretty cheap too. What is your take on subs?

Here is some of the progress. I'll get some pix this weekend with the grills on them. Note that the reflection on the speaker(s) is a plastic cover to keep dust/paint out during construction/painting. All the cables will be behind the TV and the old holes below will be patched for a clean look.

WOW, that's quite a difference rplace. Much prefer the "after" shot! I initially thought about 5800W's but my lack of mounting depth made me go with the C's. Must admit everyone has me a little nervous but without undertaking major construction, I'll go with what I've got.

Glad to see your enthusiasm remains intact after all these years. Perhaps I'm getting the bug for one more expensive obsession I DON'T NEED, LOL!!

What is your take on subs?

You really don't want to know.

There is nothing asthetically pleasing that you could put in that room that would fill it with bass. You also don't need a huge sub to keep up with in-ceiling speakers. Find something that you and your wife like the looks of and go with it.

Still trying to understand you wall problem. Directly behind your TV is drywall then what? I am puzzled with the 1.5" of 2X4 comment. If the brick wall is an exterior wall at a minimum you would have, starting at the outside,brick wall, 2X4 studs, vapor barrier and insulation...no? Were the 2X4 cut down? Were they turned sideways with the 2" (1.5) thickness mounted directly to the brick and no top/sill? Does it not look like this behind the drywall?

basement-wall-framed-over-blue-board-300