Another Boring Cable Thread

Guest davidness

I replaced my speaker wires last night with 26awg solid with thin insulation, twisting the two wires so they have about two revolutions per inch, about eight feet long.

This replaced 12awg stranded inline with thick insulation. The change seems to have improved everything; even my headphones sound better.

I can add two stories to this thread!

First... last year or so in college. I had a convertible Oldsmobile 4-4-2. Was driving with a girlfriend, taking one of her friends home. Suddenly, my car simply lost all use of the throttle. I pulled over, engine idling and my accelerator pedal was flat on the floor. Popped the hood to discover the cable for the accelerator had frayed/snapped. We were one block from a Kroger. I tossed my wallet to my girlfriend and asked her to go to Kroger and buy me some picture hanging wire. While they walked over/back, I got some tools out of trunk. On their return, I threaded the picture hanging wire in the place where the other cable was and cobbed something together that worked.

Second... living in Charleston, SC. I had a 1969 Mercedes 280 SL (older body style convertible). The rear deck that covered the soft top was released via cable. It snapped. I drove to the dealer to order a new one. How much are they? I asked. He said "oh, I think it would be like $10.00" so I ordered it.

Got a call a day or so later that it was in. Excited, went down to pick it up. The dealer was located on a 4-lane road who's speed limit was 35 in spite of the fact that it could HANDLE 60 mph. I was a block away from the dealer when the blue lights came up behind me. I was doing 45/50 in a 35 and it was five minutes until they closed. I pulled into the dealers lot, the cop behind me. I walked to his rolled down window, KNOWING he was going to ticket me, so I handed him my drivers license and said "I'll be right back".

Went inside to get my cable and was told the price was $100.00 and not $10.00 as he previously thought.... I smiled and said well, you can keep your $100.00 cable and I'll figure something out.

Went back outside, cop handed me the expected ticket and I drove across the street to a hardware store.

Looking around... I grabbed a $7.00 throttle cable (for a mower) and figured I could make it work. Drove home... removed old, replaced with new, clipped off extra length and was up & running.

Now, if THOSE are not boring cable thread contributions, nothing is! [|-)] [|-)] [|-)] [|-)]

My hat is off to anyone who actually read that.

I walked to his rolled down window, KNOWING he was going to ticket me, so I handed him my drivers license and said "I'll be right back".

Either your cops are pretty different, or that was a while back. If it happened in Houston right now, you'd have been face down on the ground with a knee in your back before you got 10 feet.

Dave

oh...so this is about cable stories.....I parked my expedition and as soon as I stepped out, it started to roll....I jumped back in and hit the brakes...it had moved about 8 ft...so I tried to start it so I could move it back...but it would not start...no nothing....put it in neutral...and it started right up...moved it back to the parking spot....put the emergency brakes on...went under the car...the shift cable was loose...walked a block and bought 5 bucks in springs.....found one that tightend the wire...all was good.....a few days later....problem returned...checked the spring...it had gotten weak from all the stretching......regrouped and did a google search...found a youtube video about two bolts under the dash that get loose and causes the problems I had....checked the two bolts and they were loose....tightened up the bolts and problem was fixed.....moral of the story....if you think there is something wrong with your cables get your nuts and bolts checked out.

How can one have a "boring cable thread" with no mention of COMCAST?

Dave

Cause I had mediacom. They would only allow 1 hd receiver per household. I even offered to buy an extra one and they wouldn't let me. So I switched to Dish. I have 3 hd tv's and mediacom were the nanny state of HD receivers. So capitalism worked and dish would let me have all that I wanted as long as I was willing to pay for them.