Another Boring Cable Thread

Guest davidness

Guest davidness

Okay, another cable thread, with a teaser subject line.

First off, I am of the belief that cables offer marginal benefits. Shoot me. I love Monoprice. I use bare 12 gauge stranded copper cable for my speaker wire, and swear by it. But I recently purchased one of NOSValve's VRD45ST tube amps, and decided to treat it (and myself) to some 'pretty' interconnect (RCA) cables.

I bought them to look cool without any expectation of hearing any difference. I replaced some standard Monoprice RCA cables. I might be crazy (and I believe that Craig will second that opinion), but I think I'm actually hearing an improvement! I mean, it's not the biggest improvement in the world, but it's there.

I bought a 1.5meter set of Chinese YYW H4022A RCA cables from the Canadian supplier on eBay for about $100.

Because I didn't expect an interconnect cable to make a noticeable improvement, yet believe it did, I thought I'd share. It surprised me.

Review:
Nice improvement in detail. RCA's are very large and may not fit if RCA jack spacing is tight. "Locking" feature doesn't work great. The RCA's are reasonably tight to begin with, and the 'clasp' probably will keep the RCA's from loosening up, but it doesn't result in an 'iron grip' as I'd hoped. Very pretty, large, and heavy. Heavy enough to make you worry about the strain it might make on your equipment's RCA jacks. Center pin is 'split' style which provides good center pin contact. Overall I'm happy enough with these to want to share my experience. (YMMV).

post-38614-13819638720626_thumb.png

Have a friend come over to do a blind listening test (i.e. you won't know which cables you are listening to) and see if you can still tell a difference between them. Usually, obvious differences in the sound of shielded cables can be traced to the capacitance of the cables. However, in my experience with hundreds of blind listening tests, very few people can tell any difference unless the cable capacitances are hugely different. In the shop, when such differences were found, we could duplicate the sound of the higher capacitance cable by simply adding the needed capacitance to the input of the amp or preamp.

I love these threads!

lurk.gif?t=1300833731icon_beer.gif?t=1300833736

Dennie whistle.gif

D'yer mind if I join you Dennie?

lurk.gif?t=1300833731icon_beer.gif?t=1300833736

Heck No OE! You're always welcome to hang out with me and watch a good "Cable" Thread! dance.gif

Don't tell my Doctor, but pass the Salt! shhh.gif

BTW, they are rarely boring, don't you think? [;)]

Dennie

the boutique cables are not really designed to make sound improved or better...just different. This is done thru the manipulation of capacitance, resistance, and inductance. I recently tested with instruments some popular high end (about 350 a pair for 8ft lenths) cables......I expected to find significant inductance and capacitance manipulation...but what I found was some capacitance and some inductance, but major resistance manipulation.....almost 6 ohms of added resistance....don't want to say which cable brand since the company is big on going after folks for trade name related issues.....and if you guess it...please do not post the name.

the boutique cables are not really designed to make sound improved or better...just different. This is done thru the manipulation of capacitance, resistance, and inductance. I recently tested with instruments some popular high end (about 350 a pair for 8ft lenths) cables......I expected to find significant inductance and capacitance manipulation...but what I found was some capacitance and some inductance, but major resistance manipulation.....almost 6 ohms of added resistance....don't want to say which cable brand since the company is big on going after folks for trade name related issues.....and if you guess it...please do not post the name.

Sounds like a MONSTER of a company!!!

I'm glad you didn't mention who it is and from what I've read, we would both be in the middle of a huge lawsuit by now! tappingfoot.gif

Dennie

About 5 years ago I got the speaker cable/interconnect bug and decided to build some DIY speaker cables and interconnects using Belden 89259 coax cable. I replaced home depot 12 guage speaker wire and some $10 RS interconnects. I did notice a difference, which I considered an improvement, especially with the speaker cables. It could have resulted from the new cables or it could have resulted from simply cleaning the connections in the process.

I enjoyed building the cables and perceived I got a high end product for a reasonable cost. I would recommend this process for anyone who can do simple soldering and is curious about "upgrading" these components.

As far as cables go I have tried a few from cheap to pretty expensive. Bottom line I ended up with a pretty cheap cable that is absolutely neutral!!! As a matter of fact most of the music you have heard in your life was probably made using these cables, since 99 out of 100 recording studios used them for all their recording. Mogami Microphone Cable, I use two different type one I use in very sensitive areas to keep out RFI and the other is a standard cable.

Jay

Here are some measurements.....but maybe...the wrong measurements...for example....you weight exactly the same regardless if you are thinking happy thoughts or sad thoughts....so body weight would not be a good measurement.

post-22082-1381963877839_thumb.png

Here are some measurements.....but maybe...the wrong measurements...for example....you weight exactly the same regardless if you are thinking happy thoughts or sad thoughts....so body weight would not be a good measurement.

The scope traces seem to show the effect of terminating wires with Zobel networks of various component values.

For me its an issue of: Are the cables improving the sound or simply altering it? Are they truly bringing out extra detail, lowering the noise floor or making other improvements that only a cable could improve?

I feel a cable's job is to transfer things from point A to point B. Be it data, electrons, whatever. I want as little being changed by cables as I can.