Subs..what to look for? I am so lost.

randydb

I just don't know what I am looking for in a subwoofer. I have a pair of klf-20s for the kids downstairs. I would prefer to not spend much...my kids aren't audiophiles in any stretch of the word. But still. Recently I was outbid on on an rw-10d. Now after much looking I am looking at.

1) Brand new synergy ksw10 for $225 total from local drug store. reg. price$399+tax

2) Brand new Tannoy ts1001 revolution for $450 total from same store. Reg price 1139+tax

3) wait for a better deal from ebay...craigslist etc.

What should I do here? What should I look for? Should I be waiting for a legend series sub to come up on ebay?

Agggghhhhh!

Randy

Its so hard to describe what to look fo. Hearing each sub separatly helps. I went to frys electronics and heard a bunch of different subs. I nixed out all of the velodynes they had and found the KEF to sound the best and tightest.

After hearing those vented velodynes it made me feel that thy werent designed well. They sounded extremely airy and without feeling. The KEF was sealed with a passive and seemed to retain that tight bass with feeling. With that said not all vented or ported subs will sound like that.

If i were to purchase a sub right now i would honestly try out the emotiva 12" sub. I like sealed enclosures for subs, i built a custom sealed enclosure for my subs in my car too. That is where i would start my search. Their sub is affordable at sub $500. It looks like a well designed sub and its got some power behind it.

If i had to choose oanother subs, i'd look at SVS. Klipsch makes alright subs, the synergy one i have the rpw-10 sound like shit. It just sounded airy. I did listen to an RSW-12 and that thing pounded. It had alot of power behind it and again, it was seald with a passive and it was tight! It was too big for my apartment so it wouldnt have worked well even if i had wanted to keep it.

I always look at the powr rating as that gives me a reasonable idea of what im dealing with, drivers size and enclosure type. From there its brands and then looking for reviews. Hope it helps!

for klf20s id take a look at svs, elemental designs, hsu, epik, and emotiva, all internet direct companies and will get you good bang if your looking around 400-600, the ksw will fall very short, for 450 the tannoy doesnt look appealing

keep in mind these companies offer more than ive listed but these seem to be a price range your looking around

emotiva 12" $430

svs sb12-NSD $600

epik legend $500

ed a3-250 $450

hsu vtf-2 mk3 $550

for 450 the tannoy doesnt look appealing

What is it about the tannoy that isn't so good? I also don't get how any of the companies price these things. Like the Tannoy is 1130ish at this store. I see a wharfedale in the same price range but they both seem to have similar characteristics to the ksw that retails around $400.

Is it more of just listen and go with something that sounds good to me?

Also, the ksw will fall short mainly because it just doesn't get up to the volume and clarity of my klf20s? Btw, I LOVE my klf20s. It is so much easier to hear what you are listening to with them.

+1 on the above combo.

if you're a little adventerous, take a look at the AVS diy sub threads. for rouglhy $500, there are several diy options that will eat the mass produced subs for lunch.

i am looking into a few options myself, THT, Sonotube, tapped horn, dual oppsed, etc.

Plus if you don't have a spare amp add the Emotive UPA-1 $299 right now.

careful, read the small print, that is only when you buy two or more that you get the sale price.

I finally got a chance to hear the emotiva sub (12") that a friend of mine picked up for his system, very nice sub all around movies and music, I think he paid 430.00 with free shipping. Otherwise, from what I have personaly heard and or owned I would suggest the rsw-12 if you can find one on CL.

+1 on the above combo.

if you're a little adventerous, take a look at the AVS diy sub threads. for rouglhy $500, there are several diy options that will eat the mass produced subs for lunch.

i am looking into a few options myself, THT, Sonotube, tapped horn, dual oppsed, etc.

I love diy. Done my own reno's, built a number of snare drums and a drum kit...it is so cool to have made something that is high quality and unique. I am intrigued by this and am going to do some research. I could have a really beautiful cabinet instead of flat black.

For the time being my neighbor has given me his Wharfedale rs10 subwoofer. It's made in Britain. He owed me $130 for some doors I gave him. Wants me to take this subwoofer in trade. The few I can find for sale in North America go for $300-$600 second hand(except my neighbor...he had his on craigslist for $150) .Seems they went for about $1000 retail.

I set it up for the kids and it sounds half decent. Certainly fills in lots of the bottom end, but sounds a bit boomier than the ksw12 I have...if that is a word. I had to turn down the input volume on the sub unit a bit to make it sound good compared to the ksw12. For $130 though...and it is just for the kids. Then I could do a diy unit for myself upstairs and sell the ksw12!

Wharfedale rs10 sealed subwoofer specs.
.....................................................................................................

Bass Driver 250mm KEVLAR
Amplifier Power 250WRMS
Input Sensitivity 250mV for 200W
Avg. Max Output 108dB
Boundary Position 28Hz-170Hz
Crossover Range 35Hz-85Hz
Frequency Fb

6 x 10Hz steps