Klipschornoob

-Gil-

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are in the corners of the entrance to the living room, so with a door between the two Khorns.

• If they are only 2.5 meters apart AND there is a door between them, I'd say they are not installled correctly ... not enough bass reinforcement from the walls. .. this might be the case even if the door is closed, unless it is a very heavy solid core door, closing pretty flush with the walls, and with a bolt that holds it very still indeed. When closed it may act as a membrane absorber of the bass, and when open, not enough reinforcement. I've heard the bass "go away" dramatically when there is a cavity (door, archway, window) nearby with Khorns, JBL Hartsfields, and the JBL "scoup" horns. With the horn speakers in the magnificent old 70 mm / 6 channel sound equipped theaters -- which had far more mid-bass than IMAX, IMO -- there were either large, strongly braced plywood "aprons" to either side of each speaker, and sometimes above and below, or the speaker enclosures were themselves that wide, all for bass reinforcement.
  • Klipschorns do not provide the muddy, floppy, overemphasized bass many other speakers do...but, in my room, they produce appropriately huge and forceful bass that can create quite a breeze in the room, shake the specially designed ultra firm floor, actually move some the furniture, and rattle the windows and bookcases 4 rooms away, with all doors closed. I think one reason that Khorns, and other speakers with horn loaded bass, don't have the "floppy" sound is that the woofer hardly has to move to create strong bass -- the excited air column does the work.. I believe I read that the woofer in the Khorn only has to move about 1/16" to 1/8," while some other types of woofers need to move 1" or more. PWK favored woofers not moving much because that cut down on Frequency Modulation or Doppler distortion..

Hi Gil

Are you the gentleman that was biding on the K-Horns at the sell it now store in Milwaukee last month? If so sorry about the sneak attack the last 10 sec.

I really had to have the unfinished pair. Wile I can under stand the points made about the walnut I want to finish them to match my other furniture. Should know in two weeks if it was worth it.

Great, sooo...

I'm like what a 1400km drive week-end do...

We drove, we listend to them for 2 hours & a half, we bought them, put them in the car, slept in a small Hotel and drove back home...

Triode tube amplifier, DA converter, midrange CD player, premium cables & 2 corners in a room. This is all a pair of KHorn needs... (maybe put them out of the car first, & don't break your back...).

These monsters are simply amazing, when you listen to a live CD you are at the forefront of the concert... This is true, the Jazz band is IN your room with only 2 watts !

This is crazy and we love it...

I'm anxious to find a home for them now, and also for us, incidentally. But until, I don't know where to put them, it's a shame... I think I'll have them here, in my apartment, not very well placed, but it's temporary short-term, sooo... we'll see that soon...

I'll be back soon

regards

Gil

These monsters are simply amazing, when you listen to a live CD you are at the forefront of the concert... This is true, the Jazz band is IN your room with only 2 watts !

This is crazy and we love it...

That sounds more like it! Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all & thanks for all the replies,

Wasn't me RagingBull, I don't like ebay very much... and the customs & shipping for a pair of Khorns from US to France is too much troubles...

Well so, the monsters are in the guest room of my brother in law & the flash light from my cam is broken, so it's all I have for now... Sorry...

I have cleaned them & they are really beauties even from 76'... Even without sound...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll probably do some more better pics next week

See you later guys

Gil

• 2 months later...

Hello guys & thanks a lot.

I finally tested the monsters and I remain impressed by the sound reproduction.

My equipment is not suitable but the sound is really beautiful.

Posted Image

My setup: Cambridge Audio AV receiver 340R & Panasonic Blu-Ray disc player DMP-BD30 HDMI linked.

We have listened to several good things (to me) like Hugh Laurie, Agnes Obel, Son of Dave, Selah Sue, Miles Davis, Martina Topley Bird, Buena Vista at Carnegie Hall...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to say again, sound is amazing even if the room is a bit too small & with a little sound reverb.

I can't wait to have my new home & a nice little 2A3 or 845.

Regards & good week-end.

Gil

I figured as much.

I'd have to pull one of mine out of the corner to check, but the speaker has to be sealed into the corner. I use pipe foam insulation on the edge to get a nice seal to the back wall. I think you are probaly breaking the seal and letting pressure escape from the bottom. This affects the bass. You could try to sit the corner of the speaker on some rigid foam, like the meter-long tubes used as swimming pool toys.

I think I see what you mean, I'll do something like Tom Buell (Preston tom) did with pipe foam insulation behind the Khorns to close the volume when I am in my new home.

But for now, they are in the guest room of my brother in law, and not very WAF, so I don't come often to listen 'em & don't want to start to do some work on them ^^.

But your idea is still good if they were staying in this room, even if I didn't notice a lack of bass when listened to them with my low setup.

Gil

I'm betting you will hear a slight improvement in sound when you install your Klipschorns directly on the floor, pressed into the corners, in your own place. Also, try to find a listening room in which no two dimentions are equal. There is a great deal of info on the forum and online elsewhere about room dimentions and other acoustical factors. Just don't make the room too acoustically dead ... Klipschorns don't like that. If you havent already, see posts by Artto and others.

• Way, way back when Klipsch started recommending a wall seal, they said the frequencies most improved were in the upper bass ... I think somewhere between 100 and 250 Hz ... there is a Dope from Hope about this.
  • PWK did try raising speakers off the floor, and found that a cavity under a speaker did harm the deep bass. I believe -- this is a paraphrase remembered from about 35 - 40 years ago -- that he said a cavity "seriously attenuates the bottom octave and degrades the octave above." I imagine that the cavity he tried was a bigger one than you have. There is a Dope from Hope about this, too.
  • Someone can tell you how to call up The Dope from Hope online.
  • PS: One probably good thing about your brother-in-law's room is that the ceiling seems to slope up behind the Klipschorns. having the ceiling non-paralell is sometime an avantage with many speakers. Also, everything else being equal, Klipschorns don't like low ceilings (see the Heyser review, also online somewhere). Klipsch says (in one version of the manual) that they seem to sound best with a ceiling at least 8.5 feet high.

• 3 months later...

Hello guys,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

Haven't got my home yet... Probably get in early January...

I have another question.

What model would be better Heresy as a center ?

Heresy I with also all alnico to mach with my Khorns ? Or new Heresy III

Thanks a lot & have a nice day

Gil

Gil,

I noticed that the speakers that you purchased appear to be different from the second set you listed on the first page of this thread. Hope you got a favorable deal:on them. Are they the same age?

As to the center, I use a Belle and La Scalas for surround. The Heresy will sound great with either one, I or III; price will probably be the driving factor. The III has supposed improvements over the I but I have never herd one so I can not judge it. My thinking is the Heresy can not keep up with the K Horns as a center but that is just my opinion, as I have tried the Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala and finally settled on the Belle as the best match for MY K Horns.

Part of the fun with Klipsch is experimenting with different setups until you find the one that works for you. There is no other experience like it. My goal was to have a listening room that sounded like the entertainment was in there with me and I have achieved it with my setup.

Enjoy, the fun has just begun, you have been bitten by the Klipsch bug and when you get your new home there will be a million other ways to spend your money on your sound system to "Improve" it......[:D]

W. C.

Hello Heli,

You're right, but only the picture is different... the owner put it on the net before having some decent pics of them to show. Yes, they are 1976

In fact my goal is to have Heresy as a center waiting for a good deal with La Scala, and have the Heresys as surround when I get it.

Something not very good is Heritage rare in Europe and buying 2 La Scala to use only 1 as a center is a bit crazy (to me)

Maybe the best would be a CornScala from Mr Crites as a center because I can buy only one (I think) and have 2 La Scala as surround

I'm sure your setup IS awsome, thanks for your reply, also as you say the fun as begun and it's a bit early for me to think about HT setup before beiing in the house [*-)]