Corian use in speaker construction - LaScala mod?

KanedaK

It would probably be better to brace from the sides to the woofer enclosure. I have heard that the factory had to omit that part because it would have to be individually fit and would have raised the price.

Thicker sides with constrained layer damping should work OK but would be more costly and harder to do.

The new factory LS use thicker material, 1" MDF, on the sides. An option to consider is to overlay the existing sides with MDF, thoroughly coating the pieces with glue prior to overlaying.

Let me put this in a positive and helpful way. Your getting vibrations because you are pushing the cabs to operate at a lower frequency than they can handle. The lascala bass horn is really a mid bass horn tuned for 70hz - 100hz. Sure you can brace them and steel trim them, but the amount of power needed to cause vibrations is going to be pretty close to the 25 watts the speakers can handle at 40hz. So best bet would be not to push them thru bass boost or eq and instead add a subwoofer to off load the first and second octaves.

post-22082-13819639698482_thumb.jpg

What you describe would help, but the bracing inside the horn is more practical.

It's been my experience that bracing prevents the sidewalls of the bass horn from vibrating annoyingly, even when driven by a lowly H/K 730 (25 watts/channel) at moderate levels. Trying to extend the bass through EQ would surely exacerbate the problem.

I'd brace any La Scala I owned. I'd also do the DJK bass bin mod, but that's another story.

You might have an uncontrollable urge to carve the Thanksgiving turkey on top of your speaker??

Nope, Even have wife broke of putting things on speaker. No more house plants, nick nacks. Nothing sits on speakers, not even the cats.

But seriously, how does the density of the base cabinets affect the folded horns, if at all? Is Hard wood Better than soft wood?

Let me put this in a positive and helpful way. Your getting vibrations because you are pushing the cabs to operate at a lower frequency than they can handle. The lascala bass horn is really a mid bass horn tuned for 70hz - 100hz. Sure you can brace them and steel trim them, but the amount of power needed to cause vibrations is going to be pretty close to the 25 watts the speakers can handle at 40hz. So best bet would be not to push them thru bass boost or eq and instead add a subwoofer to off load the first and second octaves.

In my experience, the vibrations create an annoying "buzz" at some frequencies and it doesn't require a very loud level. i can honestly say I never use more than 1 watt in my 40 square meters room, and that is already LOUD. 10watts is for parties (VERY LOUD). I'm afraid i'd blow the windows with 25watts! There's one song from Radiohead where the "buzz" is there no matter the level (OK maybe not bakground-talkover level but close). I don't use any bass boost or such, they're useless on a LaScala IMHO. They just add distortion.