Factory Reconditioned?? Good? Bad?

Gbott

Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of purchasing equipment that has been factory reconditioned? Specifically I am looking to purchase a Onkyo Reciever from an authorized Onkyo Internet Dealer. A warranty is included and the way I see it is if something was wrong, they fixed it and now it is as good as new. What concerns/interest me is the much lower price the item is offered at. I thought it would be wise to consult with the board before making the order. Thanks!

• Like 1

Many have bought reconditioned and get a great deal.

The fact it is an authorized dealer and comes with a warranty should offer peace of mind........

(FWIW, I bought my daughter's Ipod reconditioned from Apple.... no issues whatsoever!)

I would only suggest researching the exact model you are considering to ensure it does not have major widespread issues worthy of a recall......

Enjoy your new receiver (and the hundereds you save!).....

Good Luck.

Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of purchasing equipment that has been factory reconditioned? Specifically I am looking to purchase a Onkyo Reciever from an authorized Onkyo Internet Dealer. A warranty is included and the way I see it is if something was wrong, they fixed it and now it is as good as new. What concerns/interest me is the much lower price the item is offered at.

I ordered an Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP online that was factory refurbished. It sold for less than half the price of its twin "Integra" AVP. This was one of the best purchases that I've made - it's a very good piece of gear...and I've had no problems.

I also recommend looking at the new higher-end Onkyo AVPs with XLR (balanced) connectors--they also have parallel RCA (unbalanced) connectors for each channel. I can't hear any supply voltage hum using any input device or the downstream Dx38 active crossovers between my AVP and my power amps.

Chris

I've had some real issues.

You may have to return it (at your expense) several times before it is right.

It depends on the original complaint, and whether or not they actually fixed it.

As I mentioned in my first post, doing some research on the exact model will minimize this.

You could always call them and ask them for specifics..... (Worth a shot).

Good Luck; Post a pic of the new rig when you get her!

"As I mentioned in my first post, doing some research on the exact model will minimize this."

And how does that help?

B stock, refurbs, whatever you want to call them are customer returned goods. If they had an intermittent problem, or the original problem was not well documented, it is likely that the unit will still have a problem when sold as B stock.

Every time I sold B stock (as a dealer) I had problems. Every time I bought a piece for myself (as a customer) I had problems.

Yout mileage may vary (YMMV).

I have had a B stock Parasound 5250 for a couple of years with no problems . Half the price and it's a beast ! I really have to push it to get it warm .

B stocks usually have something that doesn't meet specs when tested and is sent back through . So in my way of thinking it gets twice the attention . I mentioned half price right ?