Candle Wax on Speaker Grill -- Removal?

garyd9

Looks like good advice... I wish I had known that 5 years ago when I melted the grill on my Chorus with a hairdryer trying to get candlewax off! Ice FIRST, then heat... gotta remember that, my wife still burns candles on top of the speakers!

If there is candlewax on the cabinet, are there any recommended options?

TCS: This is what happens when you burn candles. If my wife was caught burning candles on my Klipsch - well, lets just say that the results would be worse than when mom catches you having chocolate cake for breakfastSmile.gif

chorusburncloseup.jpg

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

cwm35.gif EEK!cwm35.gif Yes, I have one of those too... only much, much smaller! I might not be married right now if THAT happened! She knows the deal now, there's always something THICK under whatever is holding the candle! She worked in stores that sold candles for years, my parents owned a candle shop when I was growing up... we gotta have 'em! Because of the size of these things they tend to collect objects that need to be out of the reach of little kids, unfortunately that includes candles!

Is there a good way of getting rid of scorched rings without trying to re-finish the whole cabinet (meaning both if you want a match!) besides the obvious nice looking square of cloth that is now there?

I also have some candle wax on the cabinet, any suggested approaches here for removing it?

My wife didn't do this, I bought them that way (Chorus pair in walnut oil - good price due to the damage).

With a candle burn, it depends on how deep the burn is. In my above pictured case, it's all the way through the veneer - so I assume my cabinet would likely need to be re-veneered. Getting a match would be difficult, at best.

I have little experience woodworking, so I'm not sure what to do with this - other than covering it. The speaker will be in such a location that it will be hard to see that anyway, but I am curious what my options are.

Does anyone know what I can do about this?

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 04-28-2002 at 11:39 PM

I wouldn't ever put a candle on a speaker. I like candles but at times I got my music cranking and the subs pounding and I wouldn't want to risk having the candle vibrate off and fall and burn down my beautiful HT.

------------------

I like my bass like I like my women, deep and tight.

Candle wax on speakers...hmmm

First of all, that can't happen if the candles are kept away from them in the first place.

If you HAVE TO HAVE CANDLES, then please find some other place to put them!!! No matter what precautions you take, accidents are gonna happen...face reality!!

I am the first one to admit that things get put on top of speakers, but use some common sense about it...rule one might be to explain to the significant other that speakers don't need accessorizing...that is for tables and shelves!!! Hint, Hint!!

It may help to ask her: "Darling, do you think 2,000 dollars(insert price of new set of speakers here) is too much to pay for a pair of candlestands?"...."Well, baby, SO DO I!!"

If the candle wax is a glob on the grille cloth and has not permeated THROUGH it, some Ice against it will make it alot easier to remove. Put the cloth against a hard flat surface after chilling the wax. Take a plastic spatula and slide it under it and pop it loose as you slide the spatula under it. If any wax remains or has permeated through the cloth, then after removing the glob, take paper towels, put on BOTH sides of cloth. Then take iron and set it to low heat and iron each side of this...the wax will melt and soak into the paper towels...you continue to change out the paper towels and repeat this until all the wax is removed. For any residual wax after this, take some dry-cleaning solvent and sponge it off, then gently rub it with heavy duty liquid detergent...let this remain for a few minutes, then with a wet sponge gently rinse it out of the cloth. Repeat until there is no noticeable wax remaining.

As for scorching, whatever wood is scorched has to be removed...nuff said. If just the veneer, then a really good antique restoration place can patch it or re-veneer it unless it is heavyily figured or burl grain...then it has to be re-veneered to match. If it is scorched through the veneer, then the scorched wood has to be removed, the surface filled and sanded flat, and new veneer applied.

For candlewax on oiled wood veneer surfaces...chi8ll the glob with ice or even better one of those re-freezable ice-pak things...take nylon/plastic spatula and working in direction of grain slide under glob and pop it loose, being careful not to scratch the wood or lift its grain....again take paper towel and iron set on LOW!!! Be careful not to apply too much heat or you will cause the veneer to separate from its substrate, or scorch the veneer...repeat as necessary...give speaker a good oiling and hand rubbing blending in the stain edges...repeat!

None of these fixes are easy. PUT THE FRIGGEN CANDLES ON SOMETHING ELSE!!!!! GEEZ!!!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-29-2002 at 01:30 PM