how do some people get along with some hifi gear for 20 plus years and still love it ?

quadklipsh

To many, the music is more important than the delivery system. A superb system won't make inferior music and/or an inferior recording more enjoyable. Conversely, an excellent recording of excellent music is still enjoyable when played on a clock radio, or even a Bose music machine. Sure it's better on an excellent system, but the diminishing return factor is tremendous.

I like to amaze friends with the sound from my DIY single driver (Radio Shack 40-1197) rear horns powered by a mildly modified Dynaco SCA-35 using a Toshiba DVD player. They routinely remark at how much better it sounds than their large expensive systems. One friend likens it to turning water into wine. The whole system cost me less. than $300. One of the enclosures is in the attached photo, but the RS 40-1197 driver is not yet installed.

Are they even more impressed by Cornwalls or La Scalas? Sure they are, but not enough to justify (to them) the difference in cost, size and low WAF (which is not to suggest that my DIY single drivers have any WAF). Many people would rather spend their money going to concerts or buying music. It doesn't make sense to them to spend many thousands more on the hardware than on the music to be played.

Dave,

Several of the Scott integrateds and a well made Eico HF-81 would be on that list, probably ahead of the SCA-35, no disrespect to the Dyna.

I also listen to TV and movies over DIY LS3/5As with DIY KEF B-139 TL subwoofers that are more than 30 years old. I've never felt the need to upgrade, but it's only TV after all.

To many, the music is more important than the delivery system. A superb system won't make inferior music and/or an inferior recording more enjoyable. Conversely, an excellent recording of excellent music is still enjoyable when played on a clock radio, or even a Bose music machine. Sure it's better on an excellent system, but the diminishing return factor is tremendous.

Well Said! thumbup.gif

Hey QK, always good to see you. Keep in mind, older electronics will need some refreshing/repairing over time, but when brought back to specs., they can rival today's gear. Some people want to have the latest gear and that's fine. But a lot of us have found the older gear to be rock solid and often costing much less than the new stuff. Leaving more money for media and other goodies.

How is your Baby doing? [<:o)]

Dennie

Several of the Scott integrateds and a well made Eico HF-81 would be on that list, probably ahead of the SCA-35, no disrespect to the Dyna

As well there shouldn't be. I've seen those and heard both, but the SCA-35 was ubiqitous as well as extraordinary. As I moved through transisitor amps over the years it was the memory of the sound of my SCA-35 with Frazier Monte Carlos that eventually woke me up to the shortcomings of transistors and what we'd lost.

As was mentioned in the "ten best amps," no doubt others that many will find more deserving, but Hafler's designs will always stand as the tops in price/performance where another dollar bought little and and dollar less would have been clearly audible.

Dave

yes , i second dennie , well said and phrased just right !!![:)]

How is your Baby doing? Party!!!

and many thanks for asking about my kiddo , dennie , shes doin great mashallah , shes the best passion i ever had . centre of attention at home for everyone . [:D]. thanks again. always good to have your replies .

yes , i second dennie , well said and phrased just right !!![:)]

How is your Baby doing? Party!!!

and many thanks for asking about my kiddo , dennie , shes doin great mashallah , shes the best passion i ever had . centre of attention at home for everyone . [:D]. thanks again. always good to have your replies .

Well said, indeed, and TRVTH

When all is said and done, it's about the source material...

Hey, qk, I apparently missed the advent of the baby. Blessings on you and all your house!

Dave