Another pair of Cornscalas is born

jhoak

WOW! very nice!

would you mind giving a cost breakdown?

Thanks!!!

Cost wise... That's kind of hard to do. I had all of the drivers and horns in stock from previous purchases. All pre-owned so there really isn't a measurable baseline cost wise.

The cabinets on the other hand are easy. $152.00 for the cabinet materials. 6 pieces of 16" X 48" X 3/4" MDF pre-cut shelving, 4 pieces of 24" X 48" X 3/4" Birch veneer plywood for the motorboards and backs, 2 ea. 2X4X8 spruce for cleats. A bottle of Gorilla glue and a box of 1-5/8" drywall screws.
Of course all of this assumes that you have or have access to a whole bunch of wood-working tools like a table saw, miter saw, router, circle jigs, etc. By virtue of many years building houses I do have all of these items.

And then there's all of the ancillary stuff like crossovers and connections. The crossovers are a rebuild from parts that I bought used and things like binding posts and wire came out of my stock so I have no idea how to price them.

All told I suspect that I have a bit under $500 in them not including my labor. I suppose that if I got "inspired" I could build a "cost up" for them for the benefit of those buying everything at retail. Best guess is a bit under $1000 out the door not including labor.

All of that said I think they're the best sounding $500 speakers that I have ever heard. Probably the best sounding $1000 speakers I've heard. Definitely worth the investment in parts and time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jhoak,

Are those speakerlab labels on those woofers? If they are, I believe I sold them to you in the last year. I originally bought them from speakerlab in 1980 and used them in a pair of cornwall cabnets I built back then. Those were my main speakers for years and years. I stll have the cabnets I built and used them in stored in my garage. I have built four pair of cornwall cabnets over the years for myself and other audio friends.

I have modified khorns now and have sold my other pair of cornwalls I built. My friends still have and use as their main speakers the other two sets I built. I used another pair of the speakerlab woofers in one of the pair my friend has and used k33's in the other two pair. The speakerlab woofers are very good drivers which also handle more input power than the k33's but both are very good drivers for any of the heritage type builds. They were also used in speakerlabs version of the klipschorn.

Sometimes I wished I had never sold them but, If these are the ones I had, I am glad to see they are being put to good use. Nice build by the way, I know they must sound very good.

Randy

Very nice. You work fast.

Can you tell us the specs as in what woofer you used, mid driver, tweeter horn and driver.

Thanks!!!

As for components...

Currently using SpeakerLab W1508S woofers, P. Audio H4427 horns with selenium adapters, Selenium D250-X squawker drivers, Eminence APT-150 tweeters, and cobbled together crossovers using parts I had on hand.

The APT-150s are the older version that use the same drivers as Mr. Crites' CT125 tweeters but with much larger horns.

On order is a pair of Mr. Crites' cast frame woofers and all of the bits and pieces to build "proper" Cornscala crossovers. Once everything is here I'll also be changing out the squawker drivers to a pair of K-55V drivers.

Are those speakerlab labels on those woofers? If they are, I believe I sold them to you in the last year. Randy

Good eye!!! Yes, they're the SpeakerLab woofers you sold me.

Actually those woofers were much of the "inspiration" for this project. Several months ago I offered them up for sale but never got any response. A couple of weeks ago someone inquired about buying them but at the time I couldn't find them. Last week I was ratting around the attic looking for something and there they were. I also stumbled across the squawker horns the I had forgotten that I purchased and the tweeters. Well one thing led to another and the results are what you see here.

They sound pretty good but there's something not quite "right" about the bass output. I suspect that the problem is that I'm running 8 ohm woofers on a crossover designed for 4 ohm woofers. I've ordered a pair of Mr. Crites' cast frame woofers.

If you're sorry you sold them we can probably work something out later this week.

jhoak, do you have the internal dimension/volume of the cornscala? i like to look at this with a slimmer/taller cabinet.

Yep... The internal dimensions are 22.5" W x 34.5" H x 14.0" D. External dimensions of the cabinet are 24" W x 36" H x 16" D. I have them on 1.5" risers so that makes the net height 37.5"

The internal volume of a stock Cornwall is 10865.8 cubic inches. The internal volume of mine is 10867.5 cubic inches.

I'm a couple of cubic inches larger but the squawker horn is quite a bit bigger so my net voulme is smaller than an original Cornwall.

All in all I'm pretty close. I have them drawn up in Corel Visual CADD if you have a way to open VCD or DWG files. My drawings aren't all that "detailed" but give the general idea.

thanks jhoak, i have CS-1 projects in the work but darn these Cornsalas look really sweet.

did you build your own crossovers? was it easy/cheap?

I had a couple of pairs of E2 crossovers that I bought from Groomlakearea51 a while back. One pair was the "donor" of the inductors, autoformers, and barrier strips. The capacitors I had on hand left over from other projects.

I just replicated the Type-B circuit with the only change being dropping the squawker down one tap on the autoformer to accomodate the 8 ohm Selenium driver. I have new capacitors ordered from Mr. Crites. Once they arrive I'll convert them in to "proper" Cornscala crossovers. As soon as I do that I'll change out the Selenium squawker drivers for a pair of K-55Vs.

Cheap? Well yea.. I guess. Since I already had most of the parts. Easy? Well that's relative. What is "easy" some could be very difficult for others. I've been building electronic things most of my adult life so these were a breeze. I think it took me an hour maybe two from start to finish.

You know of course that the Cornscalas are a LOT bigger than a CS-1?

And in one final "irony" I built the crossovers using pieces of plywood that I salvaged from my La Scala conversion to split style. So the have a little bit of 1983 LS "soul" in them. [;)]

what's wrong?

did jeff got blacklisted?

No. Someone logged on as me last night and blew away a BUNCH of my posts along with my profile. Not only did they get me here but several other forums. I think the worst part is that they got in to my Photobucket account and deleted ALL of my pictures. There were over 1000 photos there. I wasn't even at home last night.

I can't for the life of me figure out how though. I'm careful with passwords and never repeat a password across sites. The only thing I can figure is that they used the computer from where I used to work. I don't think I had any passwords stored on that machine but it's the only other computer that I have ever used to access this site.

I'll try to rebuild this thread as soon as I'm finished pushing my pictures back up to Photobucket.

Sorry for the mess.

Who the hell would do something so pointless??? Angry

I think I've figured it out. Have you ever heard the expression "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"?

I pretty much "scorned" one last week. Sad

Yeah.... I have been there at points in my life.....

Glad all is ok..... [:)]

Where did you get the dampening material? What material are others using?

I can't speak for others but I emailed Mr. Crites asking for suggestions on where to acquire something like what was installed in Cornwalls. He hooked me up with a company named Uline who specializes in "packing materials".

The link to what I bought is: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-656/Paper-Cushioning/12-x-175-Cellulose-Wadding-Roll

I laid it in two layers thick. I ended up using about 80 feet of the 175 foot roll. If you're interested in getting what's left drop me a PM. I paid $58 delivered for the 175 foot roll. I have a little over half of it remaining.

OK... Tonight we have version 3 of the Cornscala crossovers. Hopefully the "final" version unless of course I come in to some extra $$ (unlikely) that affords me the opportunity to build a pair of the ALK designed versions.

Posted Image

The only thing missing in the picture are the 68uF caps across the woofer terminals. Those will be coming off of the existing (V2?) crossovers when I install the new ones.

En route to me are a pair of the M2380 horns and Selenium D405 drivers. They'll be replacing the P.Audio horns and K-55s. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

After a bit of consultation with Mr. Crites the crossovers shown above were built to go with the new 2" horns and drivers. In the mean time I've removed the K-55s and replaced them with a pair of Selenium D250-X that I had on hand. I'm actually pretty surprised how good they sound. Especially when presented with a crossover better mated to their 8 ohm load. If this is a taste of what's in store with the M2380s & D405s I can't wait until the FedEx guy shows up.