Limit on Power Outlets

Kritzer

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. What is the "normal" output limit of a regular wall outlet in homes? It is a newer place, so the wiring is "probably" up to spec. I am worried that I might flip the breaker because I am drawing too much power. Currently I have a Onkyo 807, Computer with a 750Watt Power Supply, Samsung LCD, and PS3 all attached to the same outlet. Would I be "ok" attaching more stuff to this outlet? Say for example a Emotiva XPA-3?

Thanks, Matt

Guest " "

most have 15A breakers which will trip at 1800 watts. Some have 20A breakers which will trip at 2400 watts. You have to factor in start up surge or what is refereed to as inrush current which could be as much as three times the device normal consumption rating. So a 800 watt amp, could have a peak inrush of 2400 watts, depending on the design.

Hey Matt,

I'll give you a couple of Basics here. Example: A Living Room. Most of the time all the Outlets in the Room are connected to a Single 10 amp Circuit Breaker. Chances are, you're pulling Most of the Power from the Outlet where all your Electronics plugged into. I hope you are using a Surge Protector Power Strip and NOT a Cheap Multi-Plug Outlet extention ! If you use a Power Strip you should be OK. If your House is New, All the Breakers in the Breaker Box should be Labeled. (Example: Living Room). What you described should Not be pulling anywhere close to 10 Amps.

Hankhank

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses! I checked, and my room has a 15A breaker, so I should be OK.

To correct other misinformation. First, your computer would consume only 200 watts and never more than 300 watts. Most computer assemblers have no idea how to size a power supply. So the solution is to buy a PSU that is massively oversized (as if that makes it more reliable).

Second, current from a receptacle is defined by prongs on that receptacle and plug. Your computer can only connect to receptacles rated for 15 amps. Even if the 15 amp receptacle is on a 20 amp breakers, it must not provide more than 15 amps safely.

Third, never count on circuit breakers telling you what is overcurrent. For example a 15 amp breaker could provide 20 amps (too much current) for anywhere from 5 minutes to three hours. First verify that you have not overloaded a circuit - which is why your original question is so responsible.

i wouldnt worry much about the limit ive got all my stuff on 1 outlet and never flipped it once, can even add a heater sometimes to take the chill out on that as well and still be fine, although prior had 8 monoblock amps on there and i would flip it every now and again when anything else was added to that line

Guest " "

I had 2 SAE P501's once that had to be cranked up one at a time with a 30 second wait between the first and second amp. Apparently, the first amp would heat up the breaker, and it needed a few seconds to cool before throwing the second one. If I turned them on right after the other, breakers would pop everytime. And yes...they would dim lights and reak havoc through out the house.