RF-7 Round 2

Youthman

• Moderators

They look like new.

Yes, they are in very good condition.

I never see any 7's local for sale.

That's cause Youthman keeps scooping them up. [:P] Gotta get you a smartphone if you are gonna be quick on the draw. [;)]

That's cause Youthman keeps scooping them up. Stick out tongue Gotta get you a smartphone if you are gonna be quick on the draw. Wink

Soon Youth will be enrolling in CL (craig's list) Anonymous.

Seriously they look like they were a nice score (especially for little youthman), great looking speakers. I agree that they look nicer outside the wall, but I understand your concerns about keeping them away from little ones.

• Moderators

The good thing is my son is extremely meticulous about his stuff. He has all his CD's lined up in a certain way on his shelf, very detailed and organized. He has taken very good care of his CF-2's and loves them.

I just compared online the dimensions of the CF-2's vs the RF-7's. Surprisingly, the CF-2's have a bigger footprint. The RF-7's are front ported though so I'm not sure how they will sound since he doesn't have much room to pull them out from the wall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I watched the Book of Eli with the RF-7's. This was my first time hearing the RF-7's in my room for HT. The RF-7's did exceptionally well with very clear and distinct details. I like the "in your face" sound and did not feel they were too harsh at all. I felt they blended very well with the RC-64.

As you can see, I haven't moved them into my son's room yet. Still more playing to do before I let them go. Next weekend, I want to replace my RF-83's with the 7's behind the false wall to see how they compare in the same location. [:D]

Eli.jpg

• Moderators

How wide is your room youth?

My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings

I like the look of them out front. Although I do like the look of the cherry RF83s just as much or better.

I think you should show them off.Wink

I agree. I absolutely love the Cherry RF-83's. I would love to bring the RF-83's out for several reasons:

1) They look georgeous
2) They sound much better out in the room than tucked away in the corner behind the false wall

Problem is that I have 4 children (4yrs - 12yrs) and a whole bunch of neighborhood children that meander into the HT to watch movies and play the PS3. If something happened to the RF-83's, one of the neighborhood children might not make it back home. LOL

I have seriously considered removing the side "doors" that are in front of the RF-83's. That would allow me to move them slightly out in front of the cabinet without being in the middle of the room and risking getting damaged. I guess I struggle with it since the front wall would look unfinished without the doors.

• Moderators

What do you think the difference in sound is, better position or just closer ?

When behind the cloth are they still pointing to the same spot/chair ?

Or maby just the difference from the 83 to the 7 ?

Just wondering, they probably are safer behind the wall with the local rug rats.

• Moderators

I think it has a lot to do with placement. If you look at the first photo below, you can see that the RF-83's have to be pretty close to the side wall in order to not be blocked by the frame on the door. It's hard to see in that photo but if you look at the bottom left of the photo, you will see the left side of the frame is MUCH wider than the right side of the door (not shown). I wish the cabinet guy would have made a thin frame all the way around but I guess he needed to do that to support the weight of the door. If I were to place the RF-83's closer to the cabinet and farther away from the wall, when I close the door, the left side of the door would block part of the speaker and really interfere with the sound.

7.JPG

I've always read that the RF-7's need "room to breathe". Before I had
the doors on the front wall installed, I had a chance to bring the
RF-83's out further and away from the walls and they sounded wonderful
for music. Now they sound "ok" for music when behind the wall. The photo below doesn't show it but I eventually placed them to where they were just touching the cabinet and pulled slightly in front of the cabinet (suggestion from another forum member) and it sounded amazing.

Room03.jpg

Room04.jpg

Room05.jpg

I don't think it's a RF-7 vs RF-83 as I did a side by side comparison and found them to be different, I did not feel one sounded necessarily "better" than the other...they were just different.

5353815698_7f5288344e_z.jpg

• Moderators

I wonder if when in place, sound waves could be bouncing around in the closed area. Have you tried something to absorb sound around and behind when the speaker is enclosed. Some foam egg crate stuff or even just some blankets back there and check the difference, you never know ?

• Moderators

Have you tried something to absorb sound around and behind when the speaker is enclosed. Some foam egg crate stuff or even just some blankets back there and check the difference, you never know ?

I need to add acoustic panels but the blanket idea is great. I'll try that to see what happens. Thx for the suggestion.

The black cabinets and black center of the 7's go well visually with your built in.

When I bought them, I didn't even know I would have a dedicated theater room. I always thought they would be sitting in a standard living room so I wanted them to be as elegant as classy as possible. I love the cherry finish, much more so than the standard black. The black does match the color scheme of the room better but reality is they are behind the false wall so they could be purple and it wouldn't matter. LOL

The black grills help tie it together with the room, I just typically do not show photos with the grills on since they don't look as cool that way.