How do you tame the "s" harshness on la scala or khorn? Or is it a problem for you?

twu

It's obviously the recording if you don't hear it with everything you play. Do the crossovers. Solid state equipment definitely exacerbates sibilance issues in recordings. Finally, the higher the resolving power of the speaker, the more you hear - the good and the bad. Good recordings sound better, bad recordings sound worse. When I went to the Jubilee, more than half of my collection was rendered unlistenable. The good stuff sounded incredible though.

There is a song on the Paul SImon's remastered Graceland CD my brother brought over and it has really bad siblance on one song. It drove me crazy. I heard it on jubs with esn and khorns with rebuilt A crossovers.I even tried two CD players. Perhaps that was justone example of exceptionally bad siblance but sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.

the higher the resolving power of the speaker, the more you hear - the good and the bad. Good recordings sound better, bad recordings sound worse. When I went to the Jubilee, more than half of my collection was rendered unlistenable. The good stuff sounded incredible though.

That's depressing. All I can say is what's the matter with the recording people? Maybe their monitors don't reveal detail. If so, maybe they need to get Jubilees into the control room!

Remasters sometimes actually sound worse because they are applying more compression. Keep in mind that these people aren't making recordings for audiophiles and their high end systems, but for the average Joe listening on his Bose system using 2" paper cones and his AC Delco car system.

twu,

I've got the CD of that album. Don't have the "S" harshness problem, but Chris Martin definitely has a lisp that puts out more air on his S's, which is audible even in his interviews. Don't have the MJ song otherwise I'd have checked that out too. I've got AL-3's being powered by an Equibit amp firing into a plush room.

Thanks for checking. Chris Martin tends to have to mic right up to his lips in his performances so that adds the "s" harshness too. The most I'm going to do is update the AA networks. I'll probably won't do much more than that as I'm not looking to do any mods, I prefer my La Scala in it's original.

• Like 1

I was listening to Coldplay yesterday and when "Clocks" came on, the "s" sounded is rather extragerated compared to other recordings

Twu,

I know the Colplay albums and the first three albums are just a tad hot. Hotter than anything else I have. They are real close to being irritating even with smooth tube equipment. Their live DVD is much better and a great performance, so if you want their best get the DVD (one of my favorites).

I'm not too popular here but if you are using zip cord for speaker wire, that isn't helping either. Some nice AudioQuest Type2 is cheap and solid smooth. It's worth a try. That should be a significant improvement. These are super cheap changes that will do the trick (after you have fresh caps).