how to boost sub 100hz frequencies, without using subs

guys, i again re position and re wired my speakers after i was convinced about the sheer abscence of the low frequency energy , through RF3s .

now what can be done to improve upon.

i have ordered an equalizer, though . it will reach next monday .

till then plz pour in your ideas .

The best way to use an EQ is to lower frequencies that your room accentuates rather than boost frequencies. If you do use it to boost frequencies be conservative, don't boost anything too high.

Even something as basic as where you sit in the room can determine how much bass you hear/feel.

The best way to use an EQ is to lower frequencies that your room accentuates rather than boost frequencies. If you do use it to boost frequencies be conservative, don't boost anything too high.

Even something as basic as where you sit in the room can determine how much bass you hear/feel.

Yep.... I agree with Wuzzer.

Do not try and boost the bass; but cut the mids and perhaps a bit of treble......

Alot of this will depend on your room, and your ability to really listen and adjust to what is working and what isn't......

The beauty is; you can easily reset to flat on many eqs with a button, for quick A-B comparison..... say for a specific track or guitar solo; etc.....

Good Luck Quad......

What EQ will you be using? I was going to suggest a miniDSP which I use to EQ my subwoofer. I use REW (Room EQ Wizard) to measure, design the filters and upload them to the miniDSP, so there is a learning curve to it for best results.

its the http://articulo.deremate.cl/MLC-33959707-victor-sea-7070-laboratory-sea-graphic-equalizer-_JM

im sure its gonna be old and vintage but much cleaner and inert in itself and do a tidy job .

my thinking is:

if it can improve room acoustics by a 70%, id say im willing to use it and be happy with the minimal interference it poses in the loop ..

Welllllll, I set the equalizer to plus 6 db at 30hz, set the bass on the denon to plus 10 db, the bass at 3/4 on the Denon powering the Khorns, and with the 100 cranked in at 98db SPL and the Denon in the PLC II position that will whack you right out of your chair with very clean gut busting bass. However I cheat by using a sub also.

JJK

jjk,

i wouldnt believe that the bass coming from a sub in the below 50hz range would be as tight as it comes from the floor standers 8inchers.

i believe that it gets boomy and visceral . nd non audiophilic.

sorry but subwoofers in stereo are just not my cup of tea .

its the http://articulo.deremate.cl/MLC-33959707-victor-sea-7070-laboratory-sea-graphic-equalizer-_JM

im sure its gonna be old and vintage but much cleaner and inert in itself and do a tidy job .

my thinking is:

if it can improve room acoustics by a 70%, id say im willing to use it and be happy with the minimal interference it poses in the loop ..

I don't know about inert. There must be a ton of analog circuits in there that will do a boat-load of phase changes and introduce noise. Plus, I can't read the numbers on it, but I'll bet there aren't many cursors handling frequencies below 100 Hz on it. On the other hand, a miniDSP that hanldle a dozen PEQ filters at any frequency with any Q factor (or bandwidth). Unless you are setup all-analog using vinyl and want to avoid any DSP whatsover, your bias against modern electronics may be holding you back.

I guessing not wanting to use a sub for music comes from the same wish to avoid any digital processing in the chain? The problem is that the response of frequencies below 100 Hz is room-dependant and that the best place in the room to place that driver may not concide with the location of your main speakers. If a sub is boomy, it's the sub itself rather than the fact that's it's a sub. My old sub was boomy and I didn't like it for stereo music, but I can't tell with my current one if its playing or not except when very low content comes up that I know my mains couldn't do justice to.

The woofer in your speaker is somewhat of a subwoofer relative to the other drivers in the speaker, so why not simply see a subwoofer as a better driver for low-frequencies? You could use an analog crossover for the subwoofer as well without using any digital path if you wanted to avoid that. I just see my sub as part of a four-way fully-horn-loaded system.

jjk, i wouldnt believe that the bass coming from a sub in the below 50hz range would be as tight as it comes from the floor standers 8inchers. i believe that it gets boomy and visceral . nd non audiophilic. sorry but subwoofers in stereo are just not my cup of tea .

Quad, You should not be so quick to judge. Have you even tried more than one type of sub? (I prefer sealed; PSQ loves his Tuba sub)......

I guarantee you my sub is not boomy. It is tight; hits hard when necessary and makes my music sound better. It simply does what speakers can not do.

Sorry Quad, but to say bass coming from 8 inchers would be tighter than a 10, 12 or 15" sub is inaccurate.

It depends on the type of sub and how it is set up........

psg,

ironsave,

thanks for those replies . yeah im a little weary of digital systems.the digital gear i have only in my setup is the x33es sony cdp.

i havent learnt anything about turntables ,so im not keeping one ,but i love em whenever i listen to them play jazz.

the trial should be worth it , coz the techy fellow tells me that that victor has a very simple circuit and no complexities.

id look for some dsps now ,perhaps some diy dsp should do.

my question now is,

can an equalizer be a substitution for room treatment ?? rendering NO need for room treatment measures like ??

psg,
ironsave,
thanks for those replies . yeah im a little weary of digital systems.the digital gear i have only in my setup is the x33es sony cdp.
i havent learnt anything about turntables ,so im not keeping one ,but i love em whenever i listen to them play jazz.
the trial should be worth it , coz the techy fellow tells me that that victor has a very simple circuit and no complexities.
id look for some dsps now ,perhaps some diy dsp should do.
my question now is,
can an equalizer be a substitution for room treatment ?? rendering NO need for room treatment measures like ??

Hey QK, Good to see you my friend!

Yes! I use an Audio Control C101 III, instead of room treatment. But it was built just for this purpose. I couldn't imagine using a regular EQ and trying to set it myself (by ear) to eliminate problems with the room. doh.gif

The C101 III is a Full Octave equalizer with a plug in microphone for the built in RTA (Real Time Analyzer)

DSC00883.jpg

When in "Analyzer" mode, with the Mic connected. The Display will show me the "offending" frequencies and I can adjust to Flat, then to taste.

EQRTA.jpg

Now, if you can't find one of these, I guess you can use a "RTA" program on your computer with a Microphone and measure the room with "Pink Noise" and adjust the EQ appropriately.

I hope that helps,

Dennie

What does that C101 III cost and do they still manufacture it?

JJK

They were $1000 new and I don't think they make them anymore. But watch your local Craigslist, as they come up every now and then. fingerscrossed.gif

Dennie

Or..... along with room treatment (another long, complicated subject!!...), look for a SAE 2800 PEQ, if you can find one. The 2800 works very well in terms of "playing around" and you can really fine tune the EQ to help with certain frequencies. I would suggest looking at the room itself as a first thought. Once you have a good room, the use of an EQ device becomes more of a "fine tuning" drill rtather than a cure for the room itself.

Just a thought.

[H]