Tubed subwoofer vs boxed subwoofer

With your title, Tubed subwoofer vs boxed subwoofer, you must be referring to ported or sealed subs?

A ported sub generally(all specs being equal) will usually dig a bit deeper and play louder. Sealed subs are usually tighter, faster, and many consider more musical. They both have their good qualities and applications will determine preference. IMO.

Bill

Let's add in tapped horns or regular horn subs.

These fit well with any of the Klipsch fully horn loaded horn systems:

Belle Klispch

La Scalas

Klipschorns

Klipschorn Jubilees

and the MWM models...

This has been discussed before:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/39067/353830.aspx

I remember the old Bazooka subs for cars from years past. As I remember those, they did a good job with smaller drivers, and were basically a way of saving space. I suppose that is efficiency. The most efficient subs are the folded horn subs, including the tapped horn of Danley, which can be bought in kit form for $1075. The DTS-10

If you are, in fact, referring to the cylinder-shaped subwoofer, usually made with a Sonotube or other brand concrete form, I have owned (and built) both, and can tell no difference in sound quality. They are visually very different of course... I am currently running a home-built "Sonosub" with a 12" Dayton MK3 driver in a corner, and a Baltic Birch box with a 15" Tempest-X driver between my display and left main speaker - bothe are tuned to around 16 Hz. The Sonosub outputs a little louder - probably due to the corner placement, but possibly from slightly higher sensitivity of the driver. They offer very balanced, non-locatable bass output.

If you are, in fact, referring to the cylinder-shaped subwoofer, usually made with a Sonotube or other brand concrete form, I have owned (and built) both, and can tell no difference in sound quality. They are visually very different of course... I am currently running a home-built "Sonosub" with a 12" Dayton MK3 driver in a corner, and a Baltic Birch box with a 15" Tempest-X driver between my display and left main speaker - bothe are tuned to around 16 Hz. The Sonosub outputs a little louder - probably due to the corner placement, but possibly from slightly higher sensitivity of the driver. They offer very balanced, non-locatable bass output.

Very nice indeed. Are you designing your own enclosures, or are you using plans?

For my Sonosub, I worked from the descriptions and instructions of others who have built, and used a program made just for these projects to determine the size and port lengths.

I designed the Baltic Birch box myself, just using online calculators to determing the correct dimensions, etc.

(Sorry about the dim photo... not much of a photographer, I'm afraid...)

Very nice indeed. Are you designing your own enclosures, or are you using plans?

post-7440-13819656754936_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember talking to SVS years ago on this very subject. Between them and discussions at avsforum, the concensus was that if both enclosures are properly built, ported similarly and braced properly (box sub), there is little to no difference in sound quality.

A shot of the Sonosub - I had intended on taking pictures during the construction phase, but was so uncertain about how it would turn out, I didn't bother. The 12" Dayton MK3 is down-firing onto the painted MDF base; I painted the tube with Krylon Make-It-Stone textured spray paint; most builders wrap speaker cloth around theirs (it was how my Hsu 1220 was finished), but I wanted something different, and with three cats in the house, did not want to offer them a big scratching post [:|]

post-7440-13819657021462_thumb.jpg