Processor ideas?

Coytee

When the time comes for me to buy a HT processor... it's going to have to have XLR outputs.

So, with say, two HDMI outputs, XLR outputs, what might you suggest?

I have my Peach to perhaps handle the 2-channel aspect of things however, if the processor is capable of 2-channel then I'd be ok with that too.

The main thing I really want to have is the XLR outputs so I can get rid of the RCA/XLR adapters. (I'm retentive [:D])

Would it matter that my intentions are to stay ONLY in a 5.x format???

With the size of some of these things, space is already a consideration. So if a 5.x format is out there (hopefully for $10.00 less) then it would probably fit my needs better. I should have stated that above, my apologies.

This is about as inexpensive and "5.1-ish" as I know about:

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=PR-SC886P&class=Preamplifier&p=i

I own one--it works great (HT and 2-channel modes). This unit has a "Pure Audio" mode that bypasses all extra processing beyond native format (or passes through analog inputs)--one button push on the remote and you're there.

The reason why it's inexpensive: everyone is upgrading to HDMI 1.4a on later models. That extra little bit is what is going to raise the price ~3x over this unit...

Edit: I use the XLR balanced connections to connect to the two EV Dx38s, Crown D-75As, and two Crown XTi's (subs). The HDMI inputs from the Blu-ray player (PS3) and other digital format disks (Oppo) such as SACD and DVD-A. 3-D movies haven't bitten my fancy yet (and they may never)--so I'm okay with the HDMI 1.3 this unit has. I don't have common mode noise (60/120 Hz) that I can hear - even while my head is inside the K-402s while listening.

This is the unit that Outlaw Audio sold as their flagship AVP offering while they recovered from their "-997" debacle last year.

Chris

I'm on the prowl for an Integra DTC 9.8 for the same reasons Coytee, all xlr, plus the 9.8 has audysseyXT, not sure if it would be useful to you but I'm soemwhat excited to try it as I've read alot of good things. Also if you feel like taking chance emotivas UMC replacement this year will have all xlr and be around $1000 new. But emotivas track record of bugginess on release might not be so great.

EDIT: Both the onkyo and the intetgra have the same audyssey, my bad , they are essentially the same.

Richard, take a look at this: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1312032029&/Onkyo-pr-sc885p I am pretty sure you would be happy with this model.

Yea, one of these days I'll use a browser that can post a hyperlink. The XT processing is pretty neat and I would recommend it IF you are able to get it in a dedicated room to to full advantage; if you live like me the the older algorithmic processor works. Is this for the place in TN or the new soon to be found digs in Jax?

If you are still Jax bound try this site for a taste of available digs; it MIGHT help. http://www.militarybyowner.com/military_bases/florida.aspx

I'm on the prowl for an Integra DTC 9.8 for the same reasons Coytee, all xlr, plus the 9.8 has audysseyXT, not sure if it would be useful to you but I'm soemwhat excited to try it as I've read alot of good things..

The Integra DTC 9.8 is a great pre/pro. I could not recommend it more. The AudysseyXT is a nice feature. I got my DTC 9.8 used as someone was upgrading already but had lost the AudysseyXT mic so I had to buy one from Onkyo. It helps for initial setup, and then allows for some tweaking.