Record Collectors Frenzy $$$$

seti

A friend of mine showed me this program over the Memorial Day weekend while I was visiting.

I guess I'm feeling a bit contrary tonight, but this thing is useless. It does not talk to condition, rarity of the exact pressing, particular pressing, label, etc. It's a snapshot of what something sold for on ebay. Whup deal. Indeed it's deceptive. My friend thinks she has some $500 records. Pretty sure she will find out she's wrong.

Yup that is all it does. It list the top selling records on ebay. That is all. Unfortunately it is broken right now so it is indeed useless.

I have a friend who has a massive collection of records. In fact most of his records are rare not much in the norm. The problem is he leaves records at my house then I really like some of them. When I go to ebay to them so I can have a copy they are either not available or worth hundreds of dollars.

I found http://www.popsike.com/ some time ago... purports to be the same kind of thing.

Updated periodically, not in real-time, so it may not show some too-hot-to-touch auction that happened in the recent past, but it's IS updated. From their 'News' panel:

2011-05-16
120'000 auctions added
2011-03-19
100'000 auctions added
2011-01-23
90'000 auctions added
2010-11-28
100'000 auctions added
2010-10-04
120'000 auctions added
2010-08-07
100'000 auctions added

You've no idea just how richly satisfying to find a Bix Biederbecke record at the top of the heap!

As a lover of fine music, well played, and well preserved on any medium from cylinders to whatever may be next, I salute the person willing to pay over 12k to hear the immortal Biederbecke up close and personal, and about whom Pops famously said "All the cats done tried, but nobody blowed like him yet!"

Dave