How to Apply Boiled Linseed Oil to Oiled Oak Forte II's?

I've read several post that recommend using boiled linseed and a turpentine mixture to put on oiled oak cabinets. I went to Lowe's today and bought both however I'm unsure on how much to mix and how to apply/finish. Can someone give me some kind of idea on what to do?

Guest David H

i use straight BLO and put it on with a strip of an old bath towel. do it outside and when your done be careful with the used cloth it could catch fire

I agree, Linseed oil never gets enough respect. After I work with BLO I soak the rag in soapy water, where it stay's until it's disposed of.

Dave

You can mix it about 30/50 turps/BLO. It will loosen up old oil residue and soak the BLO in quicker.

Use pure turps, min spirits or lacquer thinner on clean cloth to remove as much old oil as possible. Change cloths often and wipe solvent on and off until cloth is relatively clean.

Lay speakers down with face to be BLO'd facing up. Wear gloves. Soak cloth and wring out. Pour bloturps on veneer rub in with grain. then wipe off excess. Continue for all three sides and edge banding. Only use cloth with edgebanding.

Allow to dry for at least 15 minutes. Wipe off any excess and re-apply only with mixture on cloth. Wipe off excess and allow to dry at least 24 hours.

Repeat until hue and lustre is where you ant it. Allow to dry for at least 48 hours in well ventilated area.

From that point on, you can use a 50/50 min spirits/BLO mix wiped on with a clean cloth about every six months or so. Be careful to not build up the finish too much. Always try to wipe off excess and "buff" with clean rag.

rags/cloth used should be "rinsed" out with min spirits and allowed to dry outside. Disposal of the dry cloths is not a fire issue, but leave outside until garbage day.

[H]

If you like a wax finish and you want to seal the oil finish as it is then use some floor paste wax. Give the oil a month to totally polymerize (harden) before you wax to seal it. The wax surface is easy to clean and keeps dirt out of the wood pores and provides additional protection. You can recoat with wax once a year and you are good to go. Best regards Moray James.