1974 Cornwall I Pair For Sale?

ffx-nva

Hi Folks

I have a pair of Cornwall I (updated: not II as I had posted originally, thanks for the correction!) speakers from my father, serial 4M702 and 4M703. I'm planning to move and there just isn't enough space to use these as they should be used. I'm not sure how to price them since they are from '74. According to the "Cornwall History" post, some versions in 1974 used a K-56 instead of a K-55-V for the midrange.

What's the easist way to identify which midrange my speakers have? I don't want to unscrew the backs of the speakers if I don't have to, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the front panels off (updated: again, thanks for the info that they don't come off). And once I do figure it out, is either more desired than the other?

Photos below. Thanks!

DSC_0175.jpgDSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

welcome to the forum, couple of things i want to say. #1 the grills were not removable from the factory in 74 #2 their is no way of telling what midrange you have without removing the back panel and looking inside. #3 doesn't matter if its a 55 or 56 and as far as price thats a whole nother matter.

i had 74 verticals with the 56 midrange you won't be able to tell the difference. price shouldn't be any different with either 55 or 56

What Budman said.

I have a pair of '74 verticals also. Truth be told, although I've had the backs off a couple times, I couldn't tell you which mids I have.

Based on the condition of your cane grills and the fact that they are birch without risers, I'd say $600-$700 tops. Cornwalls are still the best bargain in used speakers IMO.

Good luck.

ffx-nva, mighty favog must have had a brain hicup because Klipsch did indeed make and call them Cornwall 11's back in 1974 and then again called them 11's starting in 1985. yours are 1's but all the verticals back then were clearly marked 11's on the label with red arrows to stand them up or lay them down

ffx-nva, mighty favog must have had a brain hicup because Klipsch did indeed make and call them Cornwall 11's back in 1974 and then again called them 11's starting in 1985. yours are 1's but all the verticals back then were clearly marked 11's on the label with red arrows to stand them up or lay them down

Oh, but wait, my 1972 vertical is not labeled as being Cornwall II, it simply says Cornwall on the label. My 1967s vertical is labled as Cornwall II.

Bob Crites

Yes, that would be for the pair and that's on the high side if I had to guess. I paid a little more for my '74s but they are practically flawless and include the risers. It's a tough market these days.

BTW - I think Klipsh used whatever info packets they had laying around. When I purchased my 1980 Cornwalls new (in July 1980), the attached packet of paperwork clearly stated they were Cornwall IIs although we all know better.