Well� They�re finally done� Mostly

jhoak

I’ve been working on a Cornscala project for the last 6 weeks or so. The project has had its share of “fits & starts” and several reconfigurations along the way. Six weeks, a LOT of sweat, and more than a few beers later here’s what I ended up with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here’s the link to the full album: http://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/jeffhoak/Projects/Cornscala%20Project/

Most of the pictures in the album have been posted at one point or another so I won’t re-post them here.

I say “mostly done” for several reasons. (1) I’m not entirely happy with the color of the finish I’d like to come up with an oil recipe that more closely approximates the “old oak” look of my Cornwalls, (2) While perfectly functional I’d like to upgrade the inputs a bit. Right now they’re just a pair of pretty basic 5-way terminals. I feel like the speakers deserve something better, and (3) In the final moments of trimming the grill cloth I managed to make a small cut that is going to require an entirely new piece of cloth to fix. Yea… I’m a clumsy dumb a$$. CRUD!!!

Of course I should answer the obvious question... How do they sound. Well... UMMM... [:D][Y][:D][Y][:D]

Nice job. You have kept me motivated to keep working on mine.

Do you still have some damping (packing) material left? I just bought two yards of grillcloth from Bob. Should be more than I need. Send a PM maybe we can work something out.

• Moderators

They look like NEW Cornwalls, with the grill on you would never know, until you turned them on. [H] Nice work, I really like the rack in the center also, nice design, the whole thing looks nice and clean.

Thanks to all!!! I'm really enjoying them. I'm not sure if they're "breaking in" (I don't put much credence in that concept) or my ears are re-adjusting but I swear they're sounding better every day.

In a little over a week they'll be driven by a McIntosh C32 and a Bob Latino VTA-120. Can't wait... [:D]

I could learn a thing or two about veneering from you my friend.

Actually the Cornscalas were pretty easy. Big flat surfaces.

The real veneering challenge for me was these

Posted Image

When it come to veneer work I'm still carrying my apprentice card. There are some real masters of the art here on the forum. Check out some of the work greg928gts or the Belles that CAKE is doing for USNRET for a look at true artistry.