Elemental design A5-350 owners need your input

robc1976

80Htz for the sub or for the speakers and sub.

Being that you are using a receiver with your setup, disable the subs crossover by either setting it to off or setting it to the highest frequency and let your Denon handle bass management. If your Denon is like my Onkyo, you can set the crossovers for each speaker and set the LFE channel to another frequency.

Bill

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried it. Crossing my rf63 at 80hz sounds AWFUL to me. To each his own.

I did not say cross them at 80 hz...... That would be kind of pointless; I think my Promedia 2.1s are crossed at 100hz!

(Is that why you said "what was the point of floor standers"???? Because you are right; that sounds awful with my Heresy Is even).

I said to try crossing them at ~40hz with them set to small.

(Let the sub do all the bass work from 40hz below).

Well I guess 3rd time is a charm....3rd amp works!!! Now I am trying to absorb all this info you guysd have offered so kindly and I was going to set the crossover on the speakers at 60Htz and the sub at?? Here are the specs on the sub:

Frequency response os 18-100HTZ

I have learned more in this thread then I have in about 2 months LOL!!

Rob, Glad the amp and sub are finally up.

Hoping ED gets their act together; although I give 'em props for quick shipping on 2 different amps.......

80Htz for the sub or for the speakers and sub.

Being that you are using a receiver with your setup, disable the subs crossover by either setting it to off or setting it to the highest frequency and let your Denon handle bass management. If your Denon is like my Onkyo, you can set the crossovers for each speaker and set the LFE channel to another frequency.

Bill

I turned up the crossover to its highest. I can set the crossovers for each speaker and the go to bass mode and adjust the crossover for LFE. So from the info below I was going to set the floor speakers at 60Htz, surrounds at 80htz and the center at 80htz and the sub at 80 htz....does this sound good guys??? I really appreciate all the advice in this thread.

Sorry. I was referring to the sub. I would start with the sub at 80 and the front towers at 60hz. Your smaller surrounds at 80 and not sure about your center

I will try this!! I appreciate all the advice...I will leave the center at 80 I guess?? Here is the specs:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 57Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

So I guess 80 would be good?

Sorry. I was referring to the sub. I would start with the sub at 80 and the front towers at 60hz. Your smaller surrounds at 80 and not sure about your center

I will try this!! I appreciate all the advice...I will leave the center at 80 I guess?? Here is the specs:

Whatever your speakers are rated (57 hz; 60 or 80 would be good). You just want to avoid sending below the low rating to the speaker. (Distortion).

So if your Rfs are at 37hz-24khz, the lowest I would go is 40hz.

You are going to have to experiment and find what you like best.

This may take weeks or even months; if you are a perfectionist.

Enjoy the madness...... [H]

Whatever your speakers are rated (57 hz; 60 or 80 would be good). You just want to avoid sending below the low rating to the speaker. (Distortion).

Enjoy the madness...... Cool

You have really helped me! So if this is true my surrounds would want to be at 60Htz also?? maybe 40Htz?? FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 46Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

You have really helped me! So if this is true my surrounds would want to be at 60Htz also?? maybe 40Htz?? FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 46Hz-23kHz +/-3dB

I think 60 hz should work fine; but......

You have to decide this through experimenting. (I have mine at 80; but my surrounds do not go down to 40hz; I think it is like 67hz or something).

60 hz might start to distort the surrounds at higher volumes.

The idea is to get the fullest sound with the most bass WITHOUT DISTORTION.

The #1 enemy of speakers is distortion.As you turn volume louder, It begins as the speaker gets "fuzzy" then progresses to total sound breakup.

(Clipping an amp will blow a speaker faster, That sounds like feedback; kinda hard to describe)

See what works; and be sure you can recognize when a speaker is distorting. (Clipping the amp will be kinda obvious).

I think 60 hz should work fine; but......

You have to decide this through experimenting. (I have mine at 80; but my surrounds do not go down to 40hz; I think it is like 67hz or something).

60 hz might start to distort the surrounds at higher volumes.

The idea is to get the fullest sound with the most bass WITHOUT DISTORTION.

The #1 enemy of speakers is distortion.As you turn volume louder, It begins as the speaker gets "fuzzy" then progresses to total sound breakup.

(Clipping an amp will blow a speaker faster, That sounds like feedback; kinda hard to describe)

See what works; and be sure you can recognize when a speaker is distorting. (Clipping the amp will be kinda obvious).

That makes sense...I do have a stupid question....you said to set the crossover to get the most bass correct?? If I set my sub crossover at 120Htz wouldn't I get more bass since it would play bass up to 120Htz?? I am still learning as you can tell lol!! So if my speakers are set at say 60Htz...the speakers play sound from 6oHtz and up and bass from 60Htz and down? Isn't that less bass??

That makes sense...I do have a stupid question....you said to set the crossover to get the most bass correct?? If I set my sub crossover at 120Htz wouldn't I get more bass since it would play bass up to 120Htz?? I am still learning as you can tell lol!! So if my speakers are set at say 60Htz...the speakers play sound from 6oHtz and up and bass from 60Htz and down? Isn't that less bass??

Yes, in theory you could.

Again, it depends on how it sounds to you.

I find that my sub set so high makes the low end suffer. (Again, my speakers can do 120hz no problem. I let them. I let the sub focus on ONLY what the Heresy Is can NOT do).

I have my system tuned more for music. I like my sub to "hit" and do so hard on the bass drum. At 120hz; I feel (and hear) this becomes compromised.

It is only one woofer; capable of playing only so much at once; without becoming "muddy". (a 15" sub might be more susceptible to this, it is a bigger woofer requiring more energy to keep moving).

Again.... Your ears are different. Try every combination you can think of.

What I am trying (and succeeding) to acheive is clean; clear undistorted sound for music and great HT, not overly bass heavy.

If your goal is a bass heavy system with a bit more muddyness (because you mostly play HT); then that is what you should select.

The muddyness is less pronounced during movies.

Remember to tune using music you like also (If you will be playing music regularly).

Also.... remember that getting this tuned the way you like can take weeks or months of experimentation.

Little nuances will present themselves; positive or negative. You react to them and then try again......

Welcome to being an HT hobbyist.....

My goal is the best sound possible. Others have different goals.

My advice is predicated on my goal......

Good Luck.

Yes, in theory you could.

Again, it depends on how it sounds to you.

I find that my sub set so high makes the low end suffer. (Again, my speakers can do 120hz no problem. I let them. I let the sub focus on ONLY what the Heresy Is can NOT do).

I have my system tuned more for music. I like my sub to "hit" and do so hard on the bass drum. At 120hz; I feel (and hear) this becomes compromised.

It is only one woofer; capable of playing only so much at once; without becoming "muddy". (a 15" sub might be more susceptible to this, it is a bigger woofer requiring more energy to keep moving).

Again.... Your ears are different. Try every combination you can think of.

What I am trying (and succeeding) to acheive is clean; clear undistorted sound for music and great HT, not overly bass heavy.

If your goal is a bass heavy system with a bit more muddyness (because you mostly play HT); then that is what you should select.

The muddyness is less pronounced during movies.

Remember to tune using music you like also (If you will be playing music regularly).

Also.... remember that getting this tuned the way you like can take weeks or months of experimentation.

Little nuances will present themselves; positive or negative. You react to them and then try again......

Welcome to being an HT hobbyist.....

My goal is the best sound possible. Others have different goals.

My advice is predicated on my goal......

Good Luck.

Okay I am seeing the picture....I hardly ever play music...mostly gaming and HT...I do like my bass heavy....I run Audyssey and always turn the bass up 4-6Db because it sets it way to low for my taste. So basically you do let your speakers do some of the highend frequency bass and your sub is mid-to low frequency bass......I want my sub on as much as possible but with good sound. I did like your advice on the speaker crossover at 40 htz It is a different sound....it is almost like it has more detailed information. When I had them set to 80Htz it seems like the detailed sounds where not played?? Like say a gun is shot and you here the casings hit the ground....at 40 Htz it seems a lot more pronounced...at 80 Htz I barely hear it.

To clarify:

If I set my speakers to 40-60 HTz and my sub at 120Htz I will get bass up to 120htz and my speakers will play 40-60 htz and up? Am I understanding this correctly?? I hope Iam not annoying everyone with these newbie questions LOL!

I just realized u have 4 rf82ii's up front! Absolutely set those to 40 or 50hz. Your surrounds would be fine at 60 and your heights at 70. You should be getting plenty of bass spread around from that setup with your a5-350 so I wouldn't try to squeeze too much out of your center. Maybe 70hz lowest or 80 for your rc62ii. I'd love to see some pictures of your room if you care to share.

I just realized u have 4 rf82ii's up front! Absolutely set those to 40 or 50hz. Your surrounds would be fine at 60 and your heights at 70. You should be getting plenty of bass spread around from that setup with your a5-350 so I wouldn't try to squeeze too much out of your center. Maybe 70hz lowest or 80 for your rc62ii. I'd love to see some pictures of your room if you care to share.

I am am re-mounting the heights tonight and I will take some pics. I have the RF-82II's at 40Htz...my reciever goes in multiples of 20....like 40Htz then go to 60 HTZ....there must be a setting I am missing LOL!! I was thinking 70-80Htz for the center...I am geting the RC-64II in a few days!!

I appreciate your help my friend!!!

[When I had them set to 80Htz it seems like the detailed sounds where not played?? Like say a gun is shot and you here the casings hit the ground....at 40 Htz it seems a lot more pronounced...at 80 Htz I barely hear it.

Now you are getting my point.

This is exactly what I was tring to guide you towards. Many times, when the sub AND the mains play the same sound, the detail and clarity is compromised.

Even though it is mostly gaming and HT, playing music when experimenting can help you keep the clarity part honest.

Thanks. It is nice when someone "gets it".

Enjoy.

[When I had them set to 80Htz it seems like the detailed sounds where not played?? Like say a gun is shot and you here the casings hit the ground....at 40 Htz it seems a lot more pronounced...at 80 Htz I barely hear it.

Now you are getting my point.

This is exactly what I was tring to guide you towards. Many times, when the sub AND the mains play the same sound, the detail and clarity is compromised.

Even though it is mostly gaming and HT, playing music when experimenting can help you keep the clarity part honest.

Thanks. It is nice when someone "gets it".

Enjoy.

Without you explaining it I would never had understood....you are a good teacher.

2 more questions:

1. When the sub is et at 120Htz amd it plays up to 120Htz....how low does it go? Does it depend on the specifications on the sub?

2. I am using one of those monster subwoofer plug-ins (link below), does this hurt the performace of the sub and is it needed?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zOpTOTyDJyu/p_119MPSW200/Monster-Power-SW-200.html