Buzz...

CAKE

I am sure there are 10,000 posts on buzz and hum here, but I was hoping to get a quick comment here.

I took advantage of the wife being out of town over the weekend to do a little tinkering because I could. I have wired my Cornwalls and LaScala together and driving them with a QSC RMX 2450 (750 watts @ 4 ohms /stereo) and the buzz from the tweeters is audible from 5 feet. Normally with either the Corns or LS, same amp (500w @ 8 ohms) the buzz is barely audible at 6" from the tweeters.

The question is: as the load changes does the "noise" increase - decrease and should I expect to have more buzz at 4 ohms & 750 watts and even more noise at 2ohms / 1200w ?

PS: she didn't flip when she saw what I had done, and she hasn't asked me to take it down (yet)... GOD I love her!

post-46049-13819658879034_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I found that the buzz is related to the HDMI and is accented by running the QSC in 4 ohm. If anyone that sees this can answer does higher wattage, lower ohms result in more noise.

I sure many are wondering why Im pushing 700 watts thru 2 pair of horn loaded speakers_ because I can! and I like to experiment

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't know the answer about about the noise.

But if you like to experiment maby try disconnecting the midrange and tweeter on the Cornwall and just use the bass, that would be interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will tinker later.

I like the idea of running only the Corn 15"_that would make this a CornScala on steroids _ 2 woofers and K400 horn. I better take the art off the walls!

CECAA850, I notice you have QSC 1104s_ do those have fans and are they noisy, have you sourced quiter replacement fans.

The fan noise makes this amp impossible to listen at low levels to normal levels.....Cant wait to get the MC250 back from the shop with new caps and upgrades

• Like 1

I replaced the fans on all my amps and used 2 more of the same fans in the cabinet that the amps are in. 6 fans running all the time, they're barely noticeable when the volume is off and can't be heard at the lowest of volumes or even over conversation. I'd have to do some looking but I think they were Enlobal Enermax???? or something like that. They're bearingless (sleeveless) fans that are extremely quiet. Let me try to find a link.

I just remembered. The Enermax fans went in my Crowns, sorry[:$]. I'll need to get my old paperwork out to find out what I put in my QSC's. I got to looking at the pic I posted and noticed that I gave you bad info in the above post. I DO have the Enermax fans in my cabinet but I think that I put Panamax in the QSC's. The Crowns were 12v and the QSC's (and Behringers) are 24v (I believe[:S]).

Well from a "buzz" post to a fan noise post. Heck its all noise related

When I researched before I'm sure the QSC fans were 24v - 80 mm. But with so many options I put that project on hold. I didn't want to replace 1 noisy fan for another noisy fan. Since I moved the amp down to be bottom "where all the dust is" the fan noise isn't so bad, but Im sure I will regret when I pop the cover to clean!

• Like 1

LOL and chuckling too...2 penalties in 1 thread Hope no one gets banned over this! Nothing to see here, moderators just move along.....

Thanks CECAA850 for the link on the repalcement fan, that is now back on the front burner

• Like 1