Changing my Denon for a Marantz: worth it? Klipsch rf-82

jsrenaud

Hi,

I have an early 90s Denon integrated amplifier at 125 watts per channel that runs my Klipsch rf-82. Sometimes I find it "thin", especially voices have appear small in the soundstage and are less prononced than instruments. It's not that bad, just annoying sometimes.

I heard a lot a good things about the Marantz-Klipsch combo, and I have the opportunity to buy for 60$ a Marantz PM750DC (early 80s) rated at 80 watts per channel. Would that be an improvement? Marantz seems to be warmer than Denon from what I read...

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Honestly, I once had a Marantz 2265 (mid 70s) and I didn't like it that much. It was pretty good sounding, don't get me wrong. But it was less detailed, less natural, and less precise than my early 90s Denon integrated, which sounds similar to a NAD 326BEE. At low volume voices were less clear. However, it was very smooth, warm, with a huge soundstage. Strangely, my marantz surround receiver was more precise than this old Marantz which people praise. Didn,t have klipsch speaker at that time, only a pair of B&W.

In fact, I'm looking for all the smoothness, warmth, big soundstage (and voices having a big footprint in the overall soundstage) of the old marantz with the precision and details of my Denon. I thought 80s Marantz would be more precise sounding than their 70s counterparts. Maybe I should go with a "newer" Marantz integrated? Like a late 80s or 90s Marantz within their PM series? They have a torroidal tranformer I think, which would help maybe.

Hi, I have an early 90s Denon integrated amplifier at 125 watts per channel that runs my Klipsch rf-82. Sometimes I find it "thin", especially voices have appear small in the soundstage and are less prononced than instruments. It's not that bad, just annoying sometimes.

My experience with 80's and early 90's Denon integrateds have been a joy with my Fortes, Quartets, and Heresys. The Denon's may just mate better with Heritage stuff and maybe struggle a bit with the Reference towers and their occasional sub-4ohm swings. I find these Denons to be very fast and punchy and detailed with a very open soundstage.

I have the Denon PMA-757(alternating with Marantz 2252B) driving my Heresys and RB-5's(alternating) and a Denon PMA-1080R driving the Quartets and Fortes(alternating). What model Denon integrated do you have?

Maybe consider a NAD C372 integrated with a little more power(150w/ch).

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1316578381&/NAD-C372-

I know this is a big chunk of dough for most but a super price for a very well reviewed beast of an integrated.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1316551614&/NAD-M3-Smooth-Power

Bill

• 1 month later...

just went from a yamaha rxv663 to a marantz sr6005 via onecall.com and holly crap what a differance this is the best purchace other than my audioquest q4 speaker cable ive ever made

I've been lusting over those "smart" AV's from Marantz. For quite awhile now, I've wanted internet radio integrated into the receiver.

If I may ask, why did you choose the SR6005 over the SR6006? Looks like they are the same unit, only with the internet capability added to the 6006?

I think the rest of the spec's are the same and at the same price?