EEGAH!

CaptnBob

Well, I just opened my 1974 Cornwalls for the first time in twenty years, and discovered some small, evidently furry creatures with limited hygene have scrambled in through the bass ports and made themselves at home. They especially seem to have enjoyed the paper batting on the inside. So do I

A: Remove only the chewed up portions, and Lysol and Febreeze the rest. (It doesn't smell, but on principle ...)

B: Remove everything, in which case, what should I replace it with? It figures they'd invade the only classic period Klipsch with cabinet stuffing.

This is less of a problem than the pair of Electro Voices I worked on once. The mice had dragged in a bunch of catsup packages from McDonald's, shredded them, and left the insides a study in scarlet and tinfoil.

Bob A.

At least, nothing got chewed through!

I don;t know how they sound at the moment - I've pulled the squawker horns to remove my social security number (hey, the police told me to do it) and repaint them. I may recone the woofers too, but I haven't decided. They still work, but have faded in color to almost a purple-grey.

The good stuff for sanitizing those would be Microban plus. It retards mold and destroys hantavirus and much more. I have seen it misted in cars and basements for long term mold control and flood damage use. Good stuff but not cheap about $50 per gallon.

Rip out the old batting stuff and the drivers and spray in some bleach solution (mist it in). Won't hurt anything as long as you don't soak the wood. Go to www.uline DOT com and look at their packing materials. There is some kraft paper batting that is virtually identical to the original. Just staple and string like the original, etc.

To keep the mice out.... get some screen material from home depot (plastic works best). It's the same stuff that they use on the back of a K'horn bass bin. Cut a strip and staple it across the back of the ports.

Throw in a couple moth balls, re-assemble and your good to go!

[H]

We've been known to entertain some mice once in a while.

I covered the inside end of the port tubes on my KLF-20's with metal window screen and secured it with duct tape. I did this right after I put in Mr. Crites' crossovers. Seemed to be alot of money to spend for mouse food.

Luckily I keep my Cornwall grills on most of the time so they don't know that's a place to live.