Chorus II + Forte II - good, bad, or ugly?

tarnumf

Hi guys!

Wanted to ask if anyone has tried to pair Chorus II and Forte II as extension. I has Choruses and quite satisfied with them, but wish to extend sound stage. Setup is the following: Chorus are currently in long wall corners, 15 feet apart, front facing. I plan to put Fortes on side walls, about 9 feet from Chorus and face them each other and 90 degrees to Chorus.

What do you think?

• Moderators

For 2 Ch I think it would throw off the soundstage and imaging.

Give it a try maby a better position would be a "little" closer to the Chorus angled toward the seating position ? Put some long wires and move them around and see if you come up with something you like ?

I got to hear Big Cliff's KG 5.5s and Fortes (4 speakers in a huge basement).

It sounded great. I am not 100% certain of the exact configuration of his setup. (I also believe it has changed now).

Maybe he can chime in.......

Also, Since one is the other's bigger brother; I would imagine timbre match would not be an issue.

The setup is not for movies, strictly for 2 ch recordings.
I've tried to angle Ch's and sound stage was becoming worse with how much they were angled in. After that I've set them in parallel and it was best sound so far.
Reading into that other discussion, meanwhile..

You could...... try to put the Forte's in the center, about 1 foot apart, and angle the Chorus in about 10 degrees. This allows the sound stage to deepened, widened, narrowed, etc. Ideally you should use a separate amp for each of the pairs and set the volume with the Chorus. Then carefully bring in the Forte's volume level to where you have the width and depth that sounds right for you.

Not knowing your rig, you will need to move it to a side or in the rear of the room to make it work correctly. You should also look carefully (or listen...) to that area mid point between the Chorus and about 1-2 feet away from the wall in that area. You are likely getting alot of unwanted bass reflections in that area which contribute to odd effects when trying to "toe-in" the Chorus. Easy solution is to obtain some absorption foam panels (parts express has them and put them on that center wall from the floor up to the ceiling about 5 feet across. Or temporarily hang a couple of thick blankets in that area to see if that solves some of the imaging problems.

Just a thought. It's the general method I use in the Wall Of Voodoo, and all who have been here can attest that it surely works...

[H]

I got to hear Big Cliff's KG 5.5s and Fortes (4 speakers in a huge basement).

It sounded great. I am not 100% certain of the exact configuration of his setup. (I also believe it has changed now).

Maybe he can chime in.......

Also, Since one is the other's bigger brother; I would imagine timbre match would not be an issue.

Chiming in! What Matt heard was, as he said, Fortes in front and 5.5s in rear. I too would agree with Matt, they sounded great. It did take some time

setting up the speakers to get it at an optimal sound dispersion. Also as Matt stated I have changed. I have Chorus IIs in front with the Forte's in the rear.

This set up took even longer to get right and involved getting a volume switch to use on the Chorus IIs to limit their volume. It was frustrating for awhile but with

lots of tweaking, I think it sounds damn good right now. To each his own and what works for some will not work for others.