Holwing Cornwalls

battradio

This last sunday i traded my Lascalas for 3 pair of klipsch speakers ,Cornwalls , KG3.5's and kG5.2's

I had Fortes as the main speakers and moved them to side speakers and put the KG's up for sale

There is just not enough room in my house for Lascala's and will be listening to the Cornwalls in a Nearfield situtation .

I spent Quite some time setting the Lascala's up for the new ower in his 30 X 20 listing room with peaked 15 foot ceiling . He was afraid the Lascala's would be Bass shy , which they are not his room has the space for the bass waves to develope and can sit back far enough for the long throw horns to taken advantage of .

Setting up the Cornwalls in my 12 X 14 living room i noticed that the louder they get the more they sound like they have a howling sound ( mechanical resonance ),That the Fortes don't . I think that the back is resonating and possibly the mid horn is crossed over to low. I plan on bracing the the back and seeing if it has the B2 or B3 crossover in it and order new caps for it .Crites tweeters have already been installed so thats one concern i don't have . I have a pair of PD5V alnico Atlas drivers that i can try in the midrange to see if they any better than the ferrite drivers .

I have a K77 tweeter , extra mid range drivers and a pair of spare woofers for the Cornwalls so im all set for long term maintance .

Does anyone know the different crossover points for the B , the B2 and B 3 crossovers and which one they think sounds better .

SN8451107 and SN8451108

These are going to be used 90 percent of the time in a surrond sound systen and 10 percent with 6B4 tube amps .

Any opinions welcome .

Mark

batt,

Welcome to this place.

I have not a clue as to HT, but know Cornwalls very well. You are on the right track as an extra 3/4" of plywood on the backs will help the bottom end. BUT at volume, the K600 mid horn can be a nasty little thing and chew on your pant legs. Don't think a driver change will help much. Just IMHO.

tc

Hi tc

Opened them up the screws on the tweeters where a tiny bit loose , every thing else inside was tight ,A couple of the back screws are stripped out and need to be pluged . shot some photos of the inside ,one cap is large and the other two looks like they came out of an electric fan .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I put some foam on the back of the midrange driver , because the paper on the speaker back has lost its crush , and the noise sounds a little like blowing in a candy box when your a kid and rateling paper would do that .

Will order new caps ,and mabe change the two iron coils to air .
Posted Image

The one thing i noticed is that the B3 version of the Crossover was a larger inductor 4mH and cap 70uF which would be a lower cross over pint than the

B ,B2 or the Cornwall II , which is the next lowest with 3 mH and 68uF and nothing like the the others

Hope that horns not that nasty .

Mark

The cornwall has a ton more basss than a lascala....................that you may not be used to. It is also reflex bass which is not nearly as tight and clean as lascala bass. It sounds like you need an Equalizer and to adjust those to your room. I don't believe anything you mention is the problem. Changing the crossover or bracing the backs is not going to affect overdriving bass. Bracing the backs should increase bass output. Changing the crossover points just detunes them. The crossover in points in your speakers were optimized for the drivers and horns in that speaker. Recapping might clean up the tweater, but probably not much else.

I recommend taking the speakers outdoors and listen to them outside and see if you get the same issues. I bet you don't.

Hi ,

I have never used my Lascalas in this room i using the the Cornwalls in , i used them in the home i lived in previuosly .Have been using Altec 9844A's and Fortes , the Altecs are about the same size and will produce similar amounts bass ,so i wouldn't think more bass is not my problem here .The last time i had listened to my Lasclas was outside and the bass is tighter than the cornwalls and Altec , when i set them up for the new owner the former owner othe the Cornwalls he was afraid he would need a subwoofer due to lack of bass and was amazed he didn't .

I have looked over all four versions of the Cornwall crossovers , and plain to build a pair of Cornwall II crossovers from scratch with air core inductors i have on hand ,will buy new auto transformers from Crites and film caps parts express its close to the Fortes cross over dedign and i like the sound of them .This way there is no modification to the stock crossovers to hurt the resale value . It may be as sugested that the midrange horn is a bit nasty and a prametric EQ may help to suck out the ofending frequincy , will bring the signal generator upstairs and see if i can ID the ofending frquincy .

Mark

After pluging the stripped out Screw holes and putting the foam on the back of the horn drivers its cured most all of the resonance i was hearing is gone .

My wife was out of the house for about 6 hours and that gave me time , to listen to them at loud enough levels . Will update the capacitors and add a bit af stratigic bracing .

After pluging the stripped out Screw holes and putting the foam on the back of the horn drivers its cured most all of the resonance i was hearing is gone .

My wife was out of the house for about 6 hours and that gave me time , to listen to them at loud enough levels . Will update the capacitors and add a bit af stratigic bracing .

I brought my Cornwalls into my living room about a year ago, and had a similar problem with the sound, just like what you're describing. Two things fixed the issue. One was to add two screws, one in the backs of each cabinet that were missing. The other was to get all four feet securely sitting on the floor. I have porcelain tile in my living room and the speakers were just barely not quite sitting solid on the floor. If I had planned to keep them in there, I would have switched to three feet instead of four.

LOL, blowing into candy boxes. I used to do that to raisin boxes when I was a kid and drove my mother nuts. Heck, I still can't resist doing it now when I finish a box!

Greg

I brought my Cornwalls into my living room about a year ago, and had a similar problem with the sound, just like what you're describing. Two things fixed the issue. One was to add two screws, one in the backs of each cabinet that were missing. The other was to get all four feet securely sitting on the floor. I have porcelain tile in my living room and the speakers were just barely not quite sitting solid on the floor. If I had planned to keep them in there, I would have switched to three feet instead of four.

LOL, blowing into candy boxes. I used to do that to raisin boxes when I was a kid and drove my mother nuts. Heck, I still can't resist doing it now when I finish a box!

Greg

Hi Greg ,

Thanks for your responce i also had to shim one foot so the right one didn't rock .Amazing how such little thing can cause sonic problems that most can't hear or acknowlage .