Amp causing terrible scratchy pop in speakers HELP!!!...

Brunt

Just for clarification..... the OP tried them "un"bridged and the noise went away. He needs 150watts for his front stage per speaker so he has no use for them in the unbridged state. Looks like it's time for and XPA...

Time to go shopping...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea to allow u to use the audiosource amps (at least until u can get an emo). Maybe someone on here can tell me if I'm wrong (but I don't think I am). 2 options. 1. Use 1 amp for your surrounds and just power your front three with the onkyo. Or option 2. Bi-wire your front stage from the separate amp channels. Essentially sending 100 watts to each speaker without bridging your amps. Then power your rs3's with the onkyo. Any thoughts?

I have an idea to allow u to use the audiosource amps (at least until u can get an emo). Maybe someone on here can tell me if I'm wrong (but I don't think I am). 2 options. 1. Use 1 amp for your surrounds and just power your front three with the onkyo. Or option 2. Bi-wire your front stage from the separate amp channels. Essentially sending 100 watts to each speaker without bridging your amps. Then power your rs3's with the onkyo. Any thoughts?

Option one would work best probably. Only running 3 channels
on the avr will free up lots of power. You could do the other way to but I like
option one.

Amps are new and the noise I have been referring to is coming from the speakers. Never had a sound like this when onkyo powered the speakers. Any thoughts on build quality...especially when compared to some nicer amps? I hope I can fix this but I am cautiously optimistic when these amps are $85 a piece.

I don't know much about your Onkyo, but looking at the online specs I can't imagine those external amps being markedly better than what's in your AVR to drive your Home Theater...

Amps are new and the noise I have been referring to is coming from the speakers. Never had a sound like this when onkyo powered the speakers. Any thoughts on build quality...especially when compared to some nicer amps? I hope I can fix this but I am cautiously optimistic when these amps are $85 a piece.

I don't know much about your Onkyo, but looking at the online specs I can't imagine those external amps being markedly better than what's in your AVR to drive your Home Theater...

Well I have the same onkyo. 110 watts per channel (with 2 channels driven) who knows how many watts when going 5,6, or 7 channels. Either of those option I mentioned will add at least some power. Much improvement? Can't tell until u try. Gotta spend some time in your dungeon and figure it out. Tell your wife to go to work! Lol

Well the thing is he has already stated that he liked his front stage much better amped so just running the onkyo only is not something he wants to do.

It would be interesting for him to level match his Onkyo to his external amps when he gets them working and see if he notices a difference... I contend he won't.with his current Home Theater.

• 12 years later...

I have the exact same problem with my Audiosource amp. Only in the bridged mode does it cause my Paradigm center channel do a dance and pop when the amp is turned on and off, not in the stereo mode. My fix was not to use it in the bridged mode. I use just one channel of my Hafler DH200 to power my center channel.