When to Replace Khorn Woofer & Drivers ?

Is there a "rule of thumb" criteria (in years or measurable sound) for replacement of the woofer or drivers?

I retired last year and now have time to enjoy music. I want to "tune up" my 1990 Klipschorns. These units have averaged 10 hours per week of light usage (California weather).

Crossover networks are on order from ALK.

Gary,

I think the rule of thumb is DON'T! I have been using the same set of Belles since I bought them in 1976 with no trouble from the woofers. I think you could remove them and rotate them 180 Deg though. That way gravity can pull on the cones in the opposite direction for the next 10 years! I doubt if it's worth doing though.

By the way, I started building your networks yesterday! 8^)

Al K.

Al.K,

Good call, man....I'm with you!!...If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

garyd9,

I wasn't going to add to the already "sound" advice...if it's not broke don't fix it! My '78 Khorns are going strong, but I did opt for the ALK x-overs.

Enjoycwm30.gif

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

Gary,

I have 78 model LaScalas and these drivers are very durable, as long as they have been, and are going to be, used for home enjoyment, such as mine. However, commercial applications for the La scalas as monitors will wear them down quicker (humidity, heat, cold, roadies, night clubs, spilt beer Redface.gif) I use the ALK crossover as well, utilizing the 3-0 tranformer setting giving 7.9 dB attenuation; up a little from the factory setting of 5-2 @ 6.2 dB attenuation. Your tastes, room, speaker model etc.. will dictate yur preference. The factory setting is a GOOD setting and you will LIKE the difference, immediately! A damn good amp is important here, however, to make the most of the upgrade. Enjoy

Cool.gif ChemPharma

This message has been edited by ChemPharma on 05-01-2002 at 09:07 PM

I agree with one making an upgrade to their cross-over network if he or she feels the need or want...but the drivers will last pretty much a lifetime(if not more) if taken care of. Component upgrades were always an option when I worked there...Many sent their speakers back for upgrades...the key was to do an ENTIRE upgrade, and NOT just a tweeter...or midrange...or woofer. Either way, as time goes on there are alot of folks who dearly wish NOW that they had a 1951 k-horn (for instance) that had been left "as-is" by its previous owner...something to think about.

As for Klipsch crossovers, I will put up a small info posting about them in a few minutes elsewhere in this thread.

Hey...Al K....I have a pair of Scalawags heading my way...built in the 70's...I may want a pair of crossovers sometime soon for em...talk to me!! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-03-2002 at 09:17 AM