New member with many questions!

usmcavenger

OK, I'm going to try not to overwhelm anyone with this so I'll be as "to the point" as possible. I am in the process of designing what I want my home audio system to consist of. Last xmas I was deployed (Marine Active Duty) and asked the wife to buy me a new Yamaha receiver so I have it when I get home. I may have done this prematurly for now I have decided that the Klipsch speakers I want are the RF-82 ii's or if possible the mighty RF-7's. My first question is, with a 7 channel receiver pushing 95 watts per channel, is it even possible to own a pair of RF-7's with a center channel and two surrounds? And if not, what about the RF-82's? Do you think my receiver has the power to push these? Thank you for any replys as any one's opinion and/or knowledge will help me greatly. I love Klipsch and will do whatever it takes to own the best of the best!

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. The short answer to your question is yes. The receiver will power the RF-7's and sound nice. The long answer would be that the RF-7's like lots of juice so if you have pre-outs on your receiver, you might look at external amplification in the future.

Welcome to the forums usmcavenger.

I have always used Yamaha receivers for my surround setups and never have they let me down. I am certain you will be happy with it untill the upgrade bug bites. Even then you would most likely only need to upgrade the front 3 speakers and let the Yammie handle surround duty.

Good luck and thanks.

Check out the new Pioneer Elite SC-57. This may be out of your price range but it's one of the new class D receivers that is able to maintain the same power level with all channels driven.

I originally bought an HK receiver with about 90 watts per channel but had to add an Emotiva 3 channel amplifier for more power to the front speakers. So I'm thinking, I probably spent the same amount as if I bought the Pioneer Elite to start with. Unfortunately, it wasn't made when I set up my system. Here's a link to the SC-57:

[
]

Short answer is 'YES', you shouldn't have any trouble driving either RF-7s or RF-82s. For normal SPL levels, it's the first few good watts that counts. RF-7 and RF-82 have very high sensitivity near around 100dB (Actually sensitivity of RF-7 is 102dB!) In other words it means they are very efficient compared to other speakers which might be in the range of 80-90dB that you have listened to.

Basically, in order to get 3dB additional output from a speaker, the amplifier input power must be 'Doubled'. Not going in details on this subject...

Depending upon the Yamaha receiver model, when you connect all 7 channels, it might increase distortion/%THD as you increase the power/SPL/volume. In most cases you might not hear it. But, apart from that you should be okay. Give it a try!

btw., if you haven't bought, RF-7s then buy new RF-7 IIs. It's really sweet sounding and amazing speaker!

Good Luck and a welcome home!

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, as others said re: that amp pushing RF-7's - at moderate volume levels. After your deployment, dependent on where you went... you may not want "loud volume" anything for awhile!! LOL!!

The RF 82's will also work well as surrounds. The matching of "R" Reference Series with other "R" type speakers is always a good idea. Similar designs and driver materials create a "hue" or timbre to that sound.

Amps..... Whoo Boy! There's a bazillion choices, gazillion opinions, and most of them valid from the standpoint of the person(s) making that recommendation. I always recommend that before you buy an amp, go see every friend you know with an amp and sit down and listen to that amp. Preferably with Klipsch speakers, but that's usually seldom available.

Another good "resource" for potential amps are used "stereo" electronics stores if any are in your area. Sometimes they will have an amp that you can take home and listen to to get a better idea of what it will sound like. All amps are different, particularly by brand. Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, etc. all have different "characteristics". Some are very preferred with Klipsch, others not so much.

You may also wish to consider just stereo, and look at Cornwalls, LaScala's, etc. Pricey new, but there may be some discount in the mil PX/BX system. Have to ask the exchange manager. Not sure now, but years ago, there were "Audio-Photo Clubs" for mil personnel only that exclusively handled higher end components.

As far as stereo (and HT if configured correctly), don't discard the idea of "vintage" amps. There are some very good deals on some very, very good vintage stereo amplifiers out there. Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, Luxman, etc.

At some later date, you might consider "tubes". I'd recommend you stay away from that route initially until you are familiar with your choice of speakers and what they do/ don't do. Tubes can be very expensive. Very good, but the cost of a good quality tube pre amp and power amp is quite high.

Other option for speakers is to consider a pair of used Klipschorns if you have a couple of free standing corners. They can be had for $2000 or less, and if in nice shape, definitely will meet your audio requirements and very high on the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF).

Many possibilities, many ideas.

Where are you stationed now?. Folks on the Forum in your area can assist you in the search for speakers and discuss the options, pros and cons of the choices, and may be able to have you audition Klipsch based systems.

Good luck, and hope that helps you a bit.

[H]

I want to first say thank you so much for all the awesome information. I'm currently stationed in Okinawa so I can't exactly go to a Klipsch authorized dealer here to ask questions and no one I know here is really into quality speakers but the generic kits that cost a couple hundred bucks that you can easily find on Amazon or in the exchange here. Ok, so my plan right now is if I can find a decent priced set of RF-7 II's and the giant RC-64 center channel then I'll get those. However I'm going to need a larger TV stand so I have a place for the center channel. I'm sure the wife won't be too happy about all this. haha. Now when it comes to the surround sound. Would you say its best to mount the speakers to the wall, or use speaker stands or does that just depend on the space and set up of the room? I imagine its just personal preference but I want to be sure. I'm mainly afraid to purchase these things before consulting with the professionals on this page so I don't have to pay for any shipping back cause I imagine on 100 lb speaks that can't be cheap. haha. Thank you all again and I'll have to post a picture of my set up when its all done!

usmcavenger...That's what the Klipsch forum is for...You are at correct place! So many good well informed people here...

"Ok, so my plan right now is if I can find a decent priced set of RF-7 II's and the giant RC-64 center channel then I'll get those."- [H], Make sure that you get matching RC-64 II with RF-7 IIs (This is only true if you opt for RF-7 IIs)

Surrond Sound: The type/size of the speaker and mounting of it depends on the size of the room, location options you have, your personal preferences/limitations and finally the budget. One option is to wait and see how the front stage sounds with RF-7 II and RC-64 II and see where you want to go from there, unless you are getting heck of a deal if you buy surrounds together with fronts and center.

If you choose, RF-7 IIs, RC-64II, then the option you have for the surround speakers are RS-62 II, RS-52 II, RS-42 II, RS-41 II

Now there are other options that you have are either a 'Floor Standing Speakers e.g. RF-7 II, RF-82 II, RF-62 II, RF-52 II as surround or Bookshelf speakers e.g. RB-81 II, RB-61 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II as your surround.

As you can see from above, there are quite a few choices, and people have different setup to suite their preferences and audio tests. For both bookshelf and surround you need to find out how you are going to place them - Stand, Shelf, Wall mouting, etc.

Good Luck!