Bella Klipsch repair

Bradbkkent

I have a beautiful pair of 1979 Bella Klipsch handed down from my Dad. They look perfect and until recently, they sounded great too. Now I have no sound from one woofer. The tweeter and mids seem to be working.

Any advise on how to get them sounding great again or suggestions about up grades/up dates would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

edit: Typng this while dining at work, hope it make sense. Sequence test to make it easy for yourself. it's gotta be xover, wire or voice coil

You guys fix what i mistyped, I gotta get back to work.

My plan would be or "What I Would Do"

1. Loosen and tighten each of the screws retaining the driver wires on the offending crossover; could be a corrosion issue
  2. If still no joy, swap left and right speaker crossovers; was it speaker or crossover? During this swap, with woofer disconnected from crossover get a meter and check the resistance thru the woofer coil. If the circuit is open with no resistance, stop here and determine if its wiring or open woofer coil.
  3. Disconnect the leads from woofer to crossover. Find some help and something cushy to lay the speaker over on it's side remove the screws holding the bass bin access cover on (seems as though they may be different lengths, if so remember where they go and how the cover was oriented). Inspect woofer terminal connections at driver, if good remove them after determining + / - for reconnection. With meter measure the voice coil resistance. (someone help here, I forget the nominal reading). If open, you need new woofer.
  4. If woofer coil was good, check continuity thru leads from driver to crossover with both ends still disconnected. You can connect both the + and - to ONE terminal at the crossover and then check for continuity thru both conductors at the driver end.
  5. Get back to us.

You should check the connections at the crossover, which you've seen is at the back of the top cabinet. This is a common source of trouble.

You'll see the terminal strip with wires and spade lugs under screws. There are four pairs (one pair is the input). Using a screwdriver, back off each screw a a half turn and then snug it back up.

Note: Iis just good practice to make sure you get whatever you take apart back in the same position.. So make notes, take pictures. Mark the wires with a flag of masking tape regarding which wire is connected to a given position.

Its is best that you don't let more than one of the spade (U-shaped) connector come out of place under the screw if you haven't kept track of things.

If snugging things up does not give good results, you may have to go into the bass bin. There is a hatch on the bottom. But maybe it will not come to that.

Let us know. Belle's are some of the most beautiful speakers created.

WMcD

Welcome to the Forum!

Connections as everyone said, is usually the culprit.

The 79's have type AA crossvers. The capacitors (the big metal "cans" that usually say "Aerovox" on them) are usually shot after 30+ years.... You should consider replacing the caps. Contact BEC on the Forum. He can do them for you; or he can provide replacement caps if you are ok with soldering.

[H]