Who Else Felt That Earthquake

Jay481985

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certain that there are some folks on the west coast and perhaps even in Japan that are thinking "Awww, did all those poor wittle people get sceered by one wittle earthquake?",

That and the pic of the lawn furniture is really funny. Big Smile

It's just not as funny when it's happening at your house Surprise, glad no one was hurt.

Yeah, it was kinda funny, but in the end, I was not to amused, since it was my area that took the direct hit from this earthquake. I've seen first hand some of the actual damage that earthquake did around here. Thankfully my own house came out unscathed as well as my office building, but cannot say that for some of my friends, though. That grocery store there in Mineral that got thoroughly trashed may end up having to go out of business. It is estimated to be about $100,000 worth of damage there and the owner just found out his insurance won't cover earthquake damage. I guess his only hope is if he can get some kind of disaster aid. This severe weather that we had yesterday did not help matters either. I lost power at both work and my house. In fact, I only finally got power back this evening, nearly 24 hours later. Now we got this hurricane bearing down on us. We can only thank God there were no fatalities and from what I understand, no major injuries either (there were at least 23 reported injuries in the immediate Fredericksburg area alone).

Damage in this area is now said to be running into the millions now. That's some pretty d[st]mn expensive lawn furniture! They have to tear down a building over in Culpeper, which is the next town over (about 30 miles from my place), due to it being to unstable and concerns if the wind and rain from Irene is going to make it worse and actually cause the building to collapse. Many schools were due to start Wednesday, but most, if not all, had to delay until at least today. Some of the schools where were more seriously damage will have to wait until after Labor Day. Maybe even longer.