• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14634730

Earthquake strikes US east coast

Map

A magnitude 5.9 earthquake has struck the east coast of the United States.

The quake hit at 1351 local time (1751 GMT) at a depth of 3.7 miles (6km), the US Geological Survey said.

It said the quake was centred some 9 miles from the town of
Mineral, in the state of Virginia. An initial measurement of 5.8 was
later upgraded.

The quake was felt in Washington, where the Pentagon and US Capitol Building were evacuated, as well as in New York.

I was in the basement on the computer, and it sounded and felt like a heavy truck had rumbled into my main floor. I thought it might be a home invasion. Bravely running upstairs, I finally realized the ground itself was shaking.

I'd never had felt an earthquake before. Dishes rattled but stayed put.

I was in the basement on the computer, and it sounded and felt like a heavy truck had rumbled into my main floor. I thought it might be a home invasion. Bravely running upstairs, I finally realized the ground itself was shaking.

Too bad you weren't playing an LP, Larry. It would have been a good tracking test for your Transfiguration!

i hardly even notice them unless they're fairly substantial. I've been in too many too count; but, not many huge ones. 6.6 that lasted one minute; but, caused over $500 million in damage.

worse part about earthquakes is that the news talks about "the next big one" for so long that you start wishing the big one would come just to knock the station off the air.

• Moderators

It's not the end of the fun for that area yet, just in case any fires were started a hurricane is going to bring alot of rain to put them out. [;)]

I wonder if there are any problems with any of the coal mines in Virginia, wouldn't want to be in a mine during an earthquake, or anytime really.

• Moderators

i hardly even notice them unless they're fairly substantial. I've been in too many too count; but, not many huge ones. 6.6 that lasted one minute; but, caused over $500 million in damage.

worse part about earthquakes is that the news talks about "the next big one" for so long that you start wishing the big one would come just to knock the station off the air.

It was so scary politicians in DC started telling the truth, for a few minutes anyway. [:#]

Yeah, the biggest one I experienced was the '89 Loma Prieta at 6.9. That's the one that collapsed freeways and a deck on the Bay Bridge. Of course, the way the Richter scale* works (a base-10 logarithmic scale), the Loma Prieta was over 10 times the power of today's Virginia quake, and this year's earthquake in Japan (9.0) was over 1,000 times as strong!

*Note: They're using a different, but similar scale now, the MMS.

Too bad you weren't playing an LP, Larry. It would have been a good tracking test for your Transfiguration!

That it would. But put it in a Vector arm, and it will track anything.

Cable news is doing its usual filling up the hours with incessantly repeated fluffy headlines.

That it would. Put it in a Vector arm, and it will track anything.

Cable news is doing its usual filling up the hours with incessantly repeated fluffy headlines.

Yes, I was watching CNN, the main story being the earthquake. Of course, there are newsworthy events happening in Libya, but the runner at the bottom of the screen kept informing me that Katie Couric's new show would be called "Katie." Earthshaking in it's own right.

I was flipping around, and the weird looking guy on Fox (don't remember his name) finally said, "Folks, the earth shook. It stopped. Everything is OK. So if you want to see more on the earthquake, I suggest changing channels." I was impressed!