Who Else Felt That Earthquake

Jay481985

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It rattled up this house pretty good. I was in the basement gettng my bicycle out to ride back to work when I started hearing all this racket! I was like "what the hell is going on here?" until it dawned on me that we were experiencng an earthquake. I bolted right out the back door, as I could've swore I thought this place was coming down. This lady that live in the house behind me come running and screaming out of her house, just completely freaking out! I am actually surprised that nothing fell down or broke in this place, they way it was shaking things up here. Fredericksburg is not all that far from the epicenter.

And now we got this friggan hurricane that is forcasted to hit the area this weekend. Oh boy - fun times indeed!

A lot of damage at the epicenter:

Yeah, I've seen that before - real cute...

More like:

15317014_BG2.jpg

15318547_SS.jpg

15320207_SS.jpg

earthquake-damage

And

showing a car nearly completely crushed when part of a building facade toppled. Thank God there was nobody in that car or anybody happened to be walking along there.

Yeah, I know those over in the People's Repuablic of California are getting a good laugh at this, but there was indeed some real damage and a few injuries that occured because of this. Thankfully nothing truly catastrophic and no deaths, though. It really is quite unusual, although not unheard of (I do remember feeling a smaller one in 2003 in this area) to get earthquakes around here, but they are now saying this was most likely the most powerful one that was recorded in Virginia's history.

Yeah, the biggest one I experienced was the '89 Loma Prieta at 6.9. That's the one that collapsed freeways and a deck on the Bay Bridge. Of course, the way the Richter scale* works (a base-10 logarithmic scale), the Loma Prieta was over 10 times the power of today's Virginia quake, and this year's earthquake in Japan (9.0) was over 1,000 times as strong!

*Note: They're using a different, but similar scale now, the MMS.

Northeastern Japan has been getting 6.0-6.8 aftershocks at least every other day since March 11th. It's hard to imagine how badly stressed residents in the area must be feeling by this time, in addition to losing family, friends, property and jobs to the earthquake and tsunami.

Many people are now suffering jishin-yoi, which translates literally as "earthquake drunk". It produces a feeling of earthquake motion even when standing still. In some cases, but not all, riding in a moving vehicle can temporarily relieve the symptoms.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/04/14/how-to-treat-an-earthquake-hangover/

In my room during the time of the earthquake I realized something funny. I have clothes hanging on hangers and remembered after the earthquake, it was not the clothes swaying but the actual house and closet that was swaying!

Also the 6.0 in the northeast is more dramatic as compared to the west coast because as it has been said, the northeast is one huge rock while the westcoast is loose sand and broken into sections that only affect that section.

In my room during the time of the earthquake I realized something funny. I have clothes hanging on hangers and remembered after the earthquake, it was not the clothes swaying but the actual house and closet that was swaying!

Also the 6.0 in the northeast is more dramatic as compared to the west coast because as it has been said, the northeast is one huge rock while the westcoast is loose sand and broken into sections that only affect that section.

A better way to put it is that a non cracked bell will ring louder than a cracked one . The east being the non cracked vs the west being the cracked ,

A better way to put it is that a non cracked bell will ring louder than a cracked one . The east being the non cracked vs the west being the cracked ,

Interesting comment, on several levels.

[:^)]

Hope/glad everyone affected seems to be ok. I've been living like hermit I guess. I just now heard (read) about it as reading this thread and hear it now for the first time on the TV.

We've been having problems with our office building so when the quake began, we all thought it was our building finally giving in. We were actually relieved when we realized it was an earthquake. The 2 workers on scaffolding outside the 4th floor window thought the cables had snapped and they were goners.

Other than some open file cabinets and pictures on the floor, we survived just fine.

FWIW Larry - My wife was home alone and also thought someone was trying to break into the house.

Yeah, I know those over in the People's Repuablic of California are getting a good laugh at this, but there was indeed some real damage and a few injuries that occured because of this.

No laughing here, Comrade. 5.8 is a big one. Plus, you don't know the size of it when it's happening! You could be feeling it at your place, when it's far worse (usually closer to the epicenter) somewhere else. Any shaking can shake you up.

In 1969 we experienced a 5.6 in the evening on October 1. We were pretty close to the epicenter, and we were glued to the radio, listening to reports of damage. About 1-1/2 hours later, I was showering when a larger (5.7) aftershock hit. It was weird and disorienting to be in the shower for this. For months afterwards, every time I showered I thought I heard or felt something. It's an impressive thing!

Glad to see everyone is ok.

Shame about Skonopa's convenience store..... [:P]

Sorta' "get your attention" to Mama Nature's next gig in the north-east area.... Ms. Irene.

Which by the way, when a hurricane goes over your house, you'll think you are in a 7+ earthquake......

All kidding around aside, folks in the path of that monster need to stay safe, and if you are within about 100 miles of the center when it's schedule to drive by, you may want to evacuate the wives, kids, etc. Now's a good time to do that to avoid the traffic jams see during Katrina, etc.

[H]

Glad to see everyone is ok.

Shame about Skonopa's convenience store..... Stick out tongue

Sorta' "get your attention" to Mama Nature's next gig in the north-east area.... Ms. Irene.

Which by the way, when a hurricane goes over your house, you'll think you are in a 7+ earthquake......

All kidding around aside, folks in the path of that monster need to stay safe, and if you are within about 100 miles of the center when it's schedule to drive by, you may want to evacuate the wives, kids, etc. Now's a good time to do that to avoid the traffic jams see during Katrina, etc.

Cool

There are now some real concern that with some these buildings destablized due to the earthquake, the rain and wind from this storm may exerbate the problem.

Bear in mind that many of these building in this area are pretty darn old. We are talking pre-Civil War and in some cases, even pre-Revolution. Thus there are buildings in this area that are nearly 300 years old, and thus were never designed nor retrofitted to withstand any serious earthquakes. There was only one other earthquake in this area of this magnitude and that was back in the 1870's.

I am quite familier with how things can be around here in a hurricane, though. Isabelle is still talked about around here. I ended up missing an entire week of work due to all the power outages and damage that occured after that one.

I am certain that there are some folks on the west coast and perhaps even in Japan that are thinking "Awww, did all those poor wittle people get sceered by one wittle earthqwake?", but hey, it is turning out to be some serious stuff around here with real damage - more than just some lawn furniture getting knocked down.

Well.... I can tell you that after $35k worth of damage from Frances, Jeanne and then about $5k after Wilma, etc, I have no doubt that folks are carefully considering what's coming up the 'pike', so to speak.

I really hope no-one gets trashed by this event. We get trashed down here every year, and have learned to live with it, but for folks up in the "Old Dominion", this is NOT a normal "deal with it" occurence...

[H]

• Moderators

I am certain that there are some folks on the west coast and perhaps even in Japan that are thinking "Awww, did all those poor wittle people get sceered by one wittle earthquake?",

That and the pic of the lawn furniture is really funny. [:D]

It's just not as funny when it's happening at your house [:o], glad no one was hurt.

Me, my choice would be a hurricane instead of a tornado or earthquake, at least we have some warning and can get out if we want.

Unless it turns East, everyone up the East coast better get ready, when they say (just a guess) 125 mph winds there not talking a gust and it's not for a few minutes, it could be all day and from different directions as the storm passes.

If it would just go another 50-100 miles east it would change everything.

• Moderators

I am VERY grateful we don't get that kind of weather out here.

A hurricane in California would do unbelievable damage. You see mud slides on Tv reports from rain, with all the loose mud and sand on and around the hillsides the amount of rain that can happen from a hurricane would probably wash away hillsides and all the homes over huge areas.