Best Crossover Replacement for my La Scalas?

soleful247

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blvdr:

I have heard that before about Al's Extreme Slope networks, which as you know is not a reflection of the quality of ALK's design but a case where 'more' (in terms of many inductors and capacitors -- all of which are of great quality) doesn't subsequently mean 'more' in terms of necessarily improved performance. Totally agree with you. The AL was honestly not just good, but really quite good with the big SS amp I mentioned, yet sounded honestly sort of broken with our sub 2-watt amplifier. An organ amp I rebuilt, push-pull and in the 20 watt range, was another story. It sounded significantly better with the AL than the SET amp. Interestingly, using the more powerful amplifiers with the far simpler type 'A' was also an equally inappropriate network for high wattage; the response seemed very peaky, shouty, and just sort of overly charged in a way that was not natural (to me) I guess it's a case of balancing and compromising in order to find what works best with what.

9 watt Single ended here and after trying 4 different networks, the ES networks are here to stay. I have both the ES4000 and ES5800. I've settled on the ES5800 with the Fastlane mid horn.

It's all about personal choice, unfortunately the ES networks aren't cheap, but I'm very pleased I took the punt.

The best advice is try a few networks, we're all different.

66hr

Would you share some details about your 300b amp? I have been surprised at just how strong the 300b can be, even with speakers in the 87dB/watt/meter range. I built a pair of monoblocks lasr year based on a direct-coupled 6SN7 into the 300b that are outstanding. It's possible to see how they would be satisfactory with the ES networks in K-horns. Had you ever used these amps with the type A?

I should have tried the AL with my 300b amps. Actually, I may have soon after I got these la scalas, but had to address some issues that surfaced with the speakers soon after I got them home. No fault anywhere, could have been during the time they were moved. 300b triodes can sound pretty powerful, and certainly capable of more than 1.5 watts trying to hack their way though all those inductors and caps. To simply write it off as 'bad' or 'terrible' leaves something to be desired, IMO, and specifically in terms of equipment in front of it. It's a dance of compromises, as someone once observed, though I can't even begin to remember who that someone was.

9 watt Single ended here and after trying 4 different networks, the ES networks are here to stay. I have both the ES4000 and ES5800. I've settled on the ES5800 with the Fastlane mid horn.

It's all about personal choice, unfortunately the ES networks aren't cheap, but I'm very pleased I took the punt.

The best advice is try a few networks, we're all different.

Well there you go. Often times, general guidelines do not apply. Good to know the ES networks worked in your application, 66hr. Just don't mention that your using a SE amp to Al :)

Dependent upon the your normal listening volume......

Loud... ALK's

Normal.... A/4500's, but... you should use the CT-125 to take advantage of the CT's low end response.

I use 4500's in my LS's (current and previous).

Cool

What do you think was considered a normal listening level 20 years ago? I would guess not nearly as loud as we listen now. Except at frat parties when everyone was drunk.

Bruce

BE36:

I am greatly interested in what you think of your Fastrac horns compared to the k400. Would you mind if I asked you to characterize some of the differences you found -- not in the sense of 'better' or 'worse' (which can be ambguous) but rather the nature of the sound produced by one compared to the other. I would appreciate it! Erik

Descriptions of music reproduction are often vague, I agree. By 'sharper outlines' I mean the manner in which instruments are presented in space -- either more clearly or diffused. What does "true to the music mean"? A system's fidelity to a recording is hard to measure unless one happened to be present in the studio when it was taking place (IMO) Kind of an of an offshoot of that (which we aren't discussing here) is when some say their systems reveal the artist's intent. Thanks for responding, I do appreciate it. Sometimes things like this just require a leap of faith. I've never had any trouble...ringing or shouting, etc. Of the original horn, but am curious about the Fastrac. Erik

Erik,

I've felt rather satisfied with my LS as well. I'mYYof curious as to what volume you are normally listening. I know that will depend a little on the specific music, i.e., Nora Jones would not be played as loud as the Eagles.

Everyone who has mentioned a tractrix flare mid horn for the LS says they sound better for all listening levels, more natural, blah, blah...

I hardly ever have anything over 95db, and that would be pushing it for me.

Bruce