Need some input on RF-7's...

HOGFAN

I know someone looking to update their system and he has offered his existing system to me for $1,200.....all cherry finish... pair of RF-7's, an RC-7 and an RSW-15 subwoofer. Is this a good/fair price? Should I offer lower?

Secondly, I have a pair of La Scala's....enjoy the sound with music, but have not yet added a center speaker or subwoofer for HT. Therefore, I really have only been able to enjoy the LS's for music. I can not use another LS as center (space constraints). I am looking for a well balanced 2 channel/HT setup. I have not listened to the RF-7's....they are out of area. Would the RF-7's come close to the LS's for 2 channel listening? I would use the setup probably 50/50....HT/music. Should I take him up on the offer? If so, I would use this system for both music and HT.....and probably sell the La Scala's. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Hogfan

Go get those speakers.

They will sound different then LaScalas. (Not worse; it is subjective; you may fall in love and sell the La Scalas: depends on your ears).

But they are worth AT LEAST ~$500 more than that for the set right now used.

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

GO GET THEM!!!!!

I know someone looking to update their system and he has offered his existing system to me for $1,200.....all cherry finish... pair of RF-7's, an RC-7 and an RSW-15 subwoofer. Is this a good/fair price? Should I offer lower?

If anything else the RSW-15 will sound great with your LaScalas....Insofar as that price, it's like buying the RF-7s and getting the RC-7 and RSW-15 for FREE if all of the speakers are in great shape.

Secondly, I have a pair of La Scala's....enjoy the sound with music, but have not yet added a center speaker or subwoofer for HT. Therefore, I really have only been able to enjoy the LS's for music. I can not use another LS as center (space constraints). I am looking for a well balanced 2 channel/HT setup. I have not listened to the RF-7's....they are out of area. Would the RF-7's come close to the LS's for 2 channel listening? I would use the setup probably 50/50....HT/music. Should I take him up on the offer? If so, I would use this system for both music and HT.....and probably sell the La Scala's. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Hogfan

I hope you went to get them! But, one thing I would do different.... I would use the RF-7's in another set up or sell them, and use the La Scalas for the HT/2 Channel Set up. I had a complete KEF speaker Home Theater when I found my La Scalas. The Front Left and Right KEF Q-7's are now in the closet and the La Scalas are for HT/2 Channel. Is it IDEAL? Probably not, but it works for me. The fully horn loaded La Scalas are the best sounding speakers I've had and I listen to 2 channel more than I watch movies. When watching movies, only the serious Audiophile will notice the "non-matching" La Scalas. No one has ever complained!

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Insane price.

I have not listened to the RF-7's

JTubbs6117(Jeff) on the forum has a pair of RF-7's driven by a McIntosh MC252 amp and he lives in the Pine Bluff/Warren area. Maybe a demo is in order.

He is a big Hogfan also.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback. If possible, I would rather just make a good decision on the front end.....rather than end up with more speakers and have to deal with the wife thing. Should I just stay put with the LS's and maybe some day add a decent center and sub or sell the LS's and bring in the RF-7 setup. Again, just looking for the best solution for HT and music. Would I be disappointed if I unloaded the LS's and picked these up?

I am hoping to make a decision tomorrow. I could sell my LS's pretty quick......they are in VG condition with updated crossovers. Decisions, decisions.....?

Nobody can make a decision for you as to what would sound best to you. The only way to make an intelligent decision is to hear the speakers in your room and decide for yourself if you like them. Worst case scenario, you prefer your LS's, sell the Reference speakers and make a profit. I own LS's and RF-7's. I like them both. I have a hard time listening to the LS's without a sub however. YMMV.

Nobody can make a decision for you as to what would sound best to you. The only way to make an intelligent decision is to hear the speakers in your room and decide for yourself if you like them. Worst case scenario, you prefer your LS's, sell the Reference speakers and make a profit. I own LS's and RF-7's. I like them both. I have a hard time listening to the LS's without a sub however. YMMV.

Yep; What he said.

I would have been demoing them in my living room already........

Yep; What he said.

I would have been demoing them in my living room already........

+1.gif

This is a question only YOU can answer. I would listen to the RF-7's before selling the La Scalas. They are two different speakers, so choosing one is going to have to be your call.

I just realized there are no surrounds in sale. I know you are only concerned with the "front end".

So, if it were ME, I would use the RF-7's as surrounds, for the price I couldn't do much better. thumbup.gif

Keep us posted,

Dennie