Power Handling of Vintage KG's???

jmswshr

I just purchased a Adcom GFA-555 2 channel amp that puts out 200 watts RMS.

I'd really love to get a pair of KG 4.5 or 5.5s to go with them. The specs listed on klipsch's website says they can only sustain 100 watts continuous with 500 peak.

Would the 200 RMS be too much for these??

!!!!!!Any recommendations of any other klipsch speakers that would work great for a 2 channel system with my amp would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Oh and I'm only lookin to spend around 400-500 (absolute max).

Welcome to the forms. Don't worry about the power handling of these speakers, they are efficient and the amp will be fine with either model.

I've noticed my 5.5s like more watts.

+1.gif

I have an Adcom GFA-555 and I've used it with my La Scalas. Plenty of power and headroom, which is a very good thing! thumbup.gif

Dennie listening.gif

I have KG-1s that used to fill a huge room with sound and I would get complaints from people upstairs on occasion. I'm not using them now, but I powered them with a Sanyo receiver made in the early 90s. In essence, my ears would hurt before those speakers would sustain any damage. I'm still amazed by the sound quality put out by those small things. The more power I gave them, the better they sounded.

Man, I miss my KG 3.2s. Had them in college and moved them in and out of dozens of rooms - all without a scratch. They were awesome. I had some serious rockin parties and movies back in the 90s with those babies. Hell of a speaker and great versatility with the compact size. I just loved watching that push-pull PR system do it's thing.

Well I paid for my 5.5's on Sunday as soon as the auction ended, and the a$$hole has yet to contact me about shipment or confirming the payment....

Needless to say I'm livid...

My Adcom came in yesterday and all I wanna to is rock out, but thanks to this inconsiderate jerk, I can't!!