DIY Guys-Speaker Restoration Tip Needed

Mallette

I will post pix at some point as I am pleased with how this has gone so far. I had a marvelous pair of Frazier Patios and one of them sort of got away from me. It got more rain blow-in than it could handle after 40 years or so and one side and the base pretty much disintegrated and separated before I noticed. While covered with a weather resistant material, the base material was particle board and water got to it with the predictable result. As these have a number of joined angles and a trapezoidal base I was first of the impression I was screwed. However, I just couldn't trash it and took my time over several weekend disassembling and then test cutting and fitting the pieces. Today I have all the parts cut and they fit nicely. I am ready to reassemble, but have one further thing to figure out.

Here's the deal. They were covered with a very thin waterproof plastic something. Both to waterproof as well as cover the plywood edges I want to put something like that back on and paint it all black enamel or other weatherproof paint. I also want to use a glue that will be both strong and seal the joined edges completely to both air and water. There will be screws in the top and base into these pieces, so the glue joins will have structural help.]

Any thoughts out there on what type of material to use to recover these?

Dave

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a chance, call me or send me a PM with a good time to call you tomorrow. There's several things you can do.

Roger that. I'll try to do so mid afternoon. I suspect anything that works in your neck of the woods will be good here in our local swamp.

Dave

Had a good chat and some thoughts from Marshall on this, but I am surprised at both the lack of input here as well as the dearth of products at Home Depot. I didn't see anything that looked like whatever 40 year old stuff that was the original. I really expected a wealth of options. The only thing that looked like a possibility was a self leveling acrylic. I am not sure about it, as it is a pour on product and requires the surface be level. Since I am not disassembling this it's an issue. Further, it is clear and I want to achieve an opaque surface to hide the plywood rough edges.

A poser. I am tempted to paint it with Behr or similar waterproof paint and then cover with Formica, though I would really like to find a think and weatherproof solution in a can.

Dave.

Not a bad thought, but I still find it hard to believe there is nothing one can just go out and purchase for this purpose.

DIY truck bed liner kits are available from most car parts retailers... for example:

http://duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/

or google "Truck Bed Liner Coating Kit" for online retailers... early SVS subs were coated in the stuff...

ROb

What about Duratex?

All I saw on a search was a roof coating and some sort of fabric by that name. Is there something else?

This still kills me. Hard to believe such a dearth of products in this area.

Dave

DURATEX

EDIT, I think I've seen quantities as small as a pint offered, but those are most likely for touch up. The 1 gallon size is the most popular I believe.

I'll keep tossing in a bit here hoping to get the perfect lead. I've a couple of options now, but I still feel like the perfect "solution in a can" is still out there. Made my first glue joint today and it looks good. It's one of the 45/90 joins. Then, I experimented on a small spot with nuclear strength paint remover gel. Stuff wipes off with a cloth. That part will be a piece of cake.

Dave