shorthorn info?

What can anyone tell me about the shorthorn 12 and 15? Does anyone have a picture/brochure? Why was it introduced, and why was it discontinued? The Klipsch site lists the components, but little else. Thanks to anyone that can provide the pros and cons of the shorthorns, as well as any technical and/or pricing information.

I have one 59 klipsch Shorthorn 15.

I think this was one of the last years made.

It has the same crossover and drivers as my 59 Cornwall and the front is the same size as the Cornwall. The front trim panel is the same one used on the Cornwall.

The short horn sounds Good but the bass is not as deep as the Cornwall. I think klipch replaced it with the cornwall.

The short horn was also matched as a mate to the kHorn were the mid and highs sounded the same.Klipsch shows this being added to a khorn for early stereo use.

The early heresy was made the same also. This set up really killed the bass in them as the the top end was set higher to match the khorns. but used with aone khorn the bass sounds fine.I have a klipsch paper showing the use of one khorn,Shorthorn and heasey in a 3 way sytem.

Not sure about the Short horn 12. I know they offered the shorthorn in kit form with and with out drivers.

Klipsch also sold the drivers in a kit called K-ortho

3 way system.this came with a 12 or 15 inch bass driver, university mid and tweeter.

If you look under klipsch at hifilit.com you will see the shorthorn on page 13 and 14 of the 57 klipsch broucher. I might sell my 59 short horn cabnet if anyone has a interst in it.

This message has been edited by khorn58 on 05-05-2002 at 12:13 AM

Shorthorns came with a variety of drivers, depending how much you wanted to spend. You could get it with just a twelve inch extended range driver (probably an Electro-Voice SP-12b) for $216, a "K-Ortho 12" system (same as an early "Model H," the primeval Heresy) for $321, or a "K-Ortho-15" for $366. If you were so inclined you could also get an empty "Decorator's Model" (read "unfinished plywood") for $70 and put anything you wanted in it. (For comparison purposes, a Klipshorn in walnut or ebontone(!) lists at $852.) All prices are from a 1963 catalog, so they were in the line at least that long. There was also a "Shorthorn" designed to fit under a TV set, but they must not have sold well as one rarely sees them today. They reportedly have better bass, but are kind of stumpy looking, at least to my eyes.

Paul Klipsch was never very happy about how the Shorthorns turned out, even including them on his list of "great major breakthroughs" that failed, along with the "RJ" and "Foldaflex," adding the notation "Yup, we did it too." I personally like mine, although they are readily outdone by the Cornwalls, which, by the way, are about ten percent more expensive all around in the same price list (including a Cornwall with a 12" woofer - has anyone else heard of this? But I digress.)

Sorry to get so prolix here. The short answer to your questions are:

Shorthorns were introduced to make a more affordable and less room-intrusive alternative to the Klipshorn.

They were dropped because the Cornwall was more versatile, easier to build, and mostly better sounding, and for only about $40 more a cabinet, simply took the Shorthorn's market away.

As far as sound goes, they don't have the bass extention or "punch" of the Cornwalls. What they do have, at least in a big enough room and with the right electronics (read "tube") is a very musical, effortless quality, with good imaging. On the down side, there is a little roughness in the lower midrange-upper bass which can make things sound a bit "chesty" on some recordings, but they're still classic Klipsch all the way.

I've seen pictures on this web-site of Shorthorns from time to time. If you keep looking, you'll find them.

Capt'n Bob cwm40.gif

This message has been edited by Capt'nBob on 05-07-2002 at 01:06 PM

Capt'n Bob,

I was hoping I might hear from you. I found a pair of '59 shorthorn-15's last weekend, and posted this thread while I was deciding to buy them. Searching for shorthorn "threads" in this forum, I found your statement that you liked your shorthorns. I do too. The woofers (tested and approved in '58) are 15" blue basket Tru-sonic 103LX's, the mids are aluminum K1000 horns with University drivers, and the tweeters have K-77's. It is K-ortho and has the crossover network. ¿Are there mods to the network that would improve anything?

I also have a pair of La Scalas. They certainly have a better upper bass/lower mid, but the La Scalas are almost too much for my 12'X16' living room! (Especially when sitting on the K-horn cabs I mentioned in my "Newbie La Scala/K-horn project" thread). Thanks for contributing to that one too. For those wondering, the La Scalas are still intact.

I realize the qualifications of the Heresy, but appreciate the Shorthorn nonetheless. I bought the pair, and will (probably) never buy Heresys.

Sincere thanks also to Khorn58 for your response.

This message has been edited by mungkiman on 05-08-2002 at 07:34 PM

Perhaps someone can clarify.

I'm under the impression that the Rebel series was the Klipsch manufactured version, while the Shorthorn series was the licensed version. But they were basically the same technology.

True?

There is an article about the Rebels with some allusion to the above, by PWK. There is also a U.S. Patent on the technology. That being horn loading of a vented cabinet.

Gil

cwm15.gif

Hi, Mungkiman,

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. The blue Tru-sonics are reportedly the drivers of choice for the Shorthorn - mine use mis-matched Electro-Voice 15-wks. (One has the big magnet, the other has a smaller magnet with the chrome "bow-tie." The speakers have consecutive serial numbers. Go figure.) My old friend and comrade-in-arms Mr. Bob has the Tru-sonics in his Shorthorns and has been very happy with them. There are pictures of them somewhere on this website, but I have no idea on where to start looking beyond "general questions."

About the only thing I've heard of doing to them is making sure they have a good tight seal against the walls in the corner.

The Shorthorns and Rebels were variations on a theme - the back loaded cornerhorn. Some Rebels were pretty big, while some, like the Rebel V, were only about two feet tall.

Plans and kits for the Shorthorns were readily available, but as far as I know, they were never "license-built." The Rebels were "farmed out" to Cabinart of Brooklyn, NY; and Audio and High-Fidelity Magazines from the early and middle fifties show a number of speakers from other manufacturers which seem to have a strong "family resemblance."

There are pictures and a couple of pages devoted to the Rebel and the Shorthorn in the Klipsch biography, (let me go look here for a second) on pages 117-119.

Enjoy!

Capt'n Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what grill cloth was used in '59, and if I can still get some? These Shorthorns came with woven wicker/cane covers. The main weave (large fiber) is beige and white, and the background weave is black and beige. This may be original or not, but needs to be replaced. Any information would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I also have a Shorthorn that has all JBL (JBL 075, D130) components in it. Inside it's stamped 'Klipsch Shorthorn'. I am going to restore it with the proper components... I have an EV 15WK and a K-77 so far. What crossover designation did it use? Does anybody have a schematic and pictures of a Shorthorn crossover (if it's a 500-5000, I already have 2 of them on my 1953/54 khorns)? The previous owner actually cut the top, so the speaker would fit snugly in the corner, with no way of loading into the room ;-( My restoration will include making a new top for it. Thank you for any info you can provide. -Dave

I need to find out the market value of the Shorthorn before I'd seriously consider buying another or selling mine. Shipping on both the buying and selling ends would be a pain. Anyway, mine is what I would consider a mahogany color with a sort of rose colored multitextured cloth. It seems a lot of people own one (1) of this speaker, and I guess a lot of people bought only one back in the 1950's and listened to mono. Mine's from 1956. I didn't even know which terminal was positive and which was negative. I guess I just guessed right because it sounds great. There's also a open end ground-like connector that I don't where to hook, but it obviously doesn't affect the sound by not being hooked. What color Shorthorns do you other Shorthorn owners have?

Mine are lacquered walnut. I also have a pair of "Klipschkit" cabinets in what could charitibly be called "junkwood."

The Shorthorns I've seen had K-1000 squawker horns - the one with the really narrow mouth - and 1000-5000 hertz crossovers. From the literature of the time it appears you could get them with a variety of 12" and 15" drivers, including the ubiquitous EV SP-12B

If everything's working, I would think a single Shorthorn in good shape could bring $250-$350, depending how badly someone wanted it. Sadly enough, and I hate to bring this up, but, like a lot of older speakers, the parts are worth more than the whole.

Mine were painted blue, but are now oiled walnut. They were inspected in the beginning of 1959, and are a consecutive pair. I paid $700 about a year ago for the pair because the seller knew of the components inside: 15" Trusonics, University SAHF mids, and K-77 tweets. He said that he would part them out on Ebay if I didn't pay the ransom, and I paid. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I have not been disappointed. Much of my hesitation was from having bought my '73 La Scalas for $500, and knowing the Shorthorn couldn't reach as far into the lower registers. Still, refinished, they look great with natural cane cloth, and sound great in the dining room without too large a physical presence.

If people are interested in buying or selling Shorthorns for a stereo pair, the S models are fine. For a mono set-up, I might hold out for a model T. The last one I saw on Ebay went for close to $500 for a single unit. For more info, check:

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957m.jpg

Sorry for not knowing how to post as a link...

• 3 weeks later...

I just listed my Shorthorn on ebay. I don't really like using ebay, but I think it's probably the best way to determine the true market value. I don't have the room or need for such a single large speaker. Take a look; I'm sure it's the only Shorthorn listed. Sorry for the bad picture, but I have a cheap digital camera.

Chaletclub,

how much do you want for your shorthorn? I noticed your listing, and am interested in providing a good home for an historical Klipsch. Does yours have the same geometric top as the khorn, or is it just a rectangular box? I am looking for a mono speaker for our toddler's room, and this would fit the bill if it is a corner speaker. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you want; if you want to continue the Ebay route, I will be bidding.