Amplifier for Klipsch Fortè I

daniele

You can use your Proton pre-amp, assuming it has remote control. Then all you would need is a power amp, or a pair of monoblocks.

There is more to consider, for example pp vs single ended. PP tube amps are more powerful, and sound more like ss amps, where single ended amps don't really amplify very well, but do some other pretty interesting things (they're more like processors / holographic projectors).

It will take a while to figure out what is worth considering, so take your time and ask around. I'm partial to single ended myself, and own a couple Decware amps that while modestly powered, are practically psychedelic in the presentation they give. In the classifieds here on this forum, a pair of them went for $300. Another recent deal was for a pair of Wellborne 2a3 monoblocks for $700.

Craig (forum member NOSvalves) often has refurbed vintage amps on his site for reasonable prices. Check with him first if the more power/less single ended wierdness sounds more like your cup of tea.

Regarding the Cayin amps, I'm partial to boutique domestic makes over chinese stuff, fighting the recession at home, one impulsive audiophool purchase at a time!

Another thing to consider that would cost less than a tube amp would be to upgrade the fortes themselves (crossover and/or driver upgrades). Have you tried that? FWIW, and it could be my imagination, it seemed to me that my fortes played notably better with my proton/NAD after the crossovers were replaced. It would be a shame to invest in an expensive tube amp and not fix/update old parts that likely need replacing anyway.

I would strongly suggest keeping your Proton amp even if you get a tube amp. You never know when you'll crave ss power, or when it may come in handy down the road. When I replaced the crossovers in my fortes, I split out the horns and woofs in order to bi-amp, tubes up top and ss down low. Tweaky, yeah, but it sounds great, and is extremely versatile.

Another thing to consider that would cost less than a tube amp would be to upgrade the fortes themselves (crossover and/or driver upgrades). Have you tried that? FWIW, and it could be my imagination, it seemed to me that my fortes played notably better with my proton/NAD after the crossovers were replaced. It would be a shame to invest in an expensive tube amp and not fix/update old parts that likely need replacing anyway.

thank you for the suggest. i'm not able to do the thins you say but i have a friend that's is very good. I could ask to him.

Could you tell me a link where i could see what i need to do it?

I would strongly
suggest keeping your Proton amp even if you get a tube amp. You never
know when you'll crave ss power, or when it may come in handy down the
road. When I replaced the crossovers in my fortes, I split out the
horns and woofs in order to bi-amp, tubes up top and ss down low.
Tweaky, yeah, but it sounds great, and is extremely versatile.

Of course i will keep my Proton. I will sell it only if there is a big difference between the new one and it

I have to say that i'm from Italy so i can't buy in the US becouse it's too expensive for me the shipping.

Either the NAD C375BEE, C356BEE, or the C355BEE will do wonders with the Klipsch Fortes.

Here is a link to an Italian NAD distributer.

http://www.audioclub.it/

I think NAD and Klipsch make a wonderful combination especially with Heritage like your Fortes.

Bill

I prefer my Proton

I'm not surprised. Your old Proton is a very capable amp, and like the NADs that others are suggesting, it just happens to be a great combo with Klipsch.

But keep your eyes open for good used tube gear, and don't be afraid to give it a try.You'll like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't find any English reviews on that particular amp.

What you should take away from this are a couple facts. If clean, accurate reproduction is what you're after, you will be hard pressed to do better than what you have. Maybe a Bryston, but even then, if you're not exceeding the amp's limits, you probably couldn't tell it apart from your Proton.

Class D amps are maturing, and there are a lot of excellent ones out there now. It looks like the GALACTRON may be such an amp, but that's just a guess. Even with those, you're still not going to surpass what you have now. They are designed for low distortion reproduction, with low output impedance, and to behave (ideally) as voltage source type amps. Just like what you have now.

When you start going down the path of tubes, it's their higher output impedances will play differently with your speakers. The effect is essentially like crapping on the signal for positive effect. "Horns love tubes" is kind of trite, but it's true. Such combos will win the Pepsi challenge more often than not.

If you are wanting to make things ambiguously "better", don't worry about the Proton; focus on the room and speakers (have you replaced caps in your crossover yet? Experimented with speaker location or room treatments?). Unless you're running out of power (highly doubtful, as your Proton is capable of delivering, what, 500 unclipped watts into a 4 ohm load?), changing amps is a waste of time and money.

If you want "different via amps" then explore amps that genuinely, actually do alter the presentation (i.e. tubes), under the knowledge that you are forsaking accuracy (in the strictest sense) for something subjectively different/better to your ears. Go used, to keep the expense of such experimentation within reason.