My first Pre/Pro...Initial Impressions of the Emotiva UMC-1

Youthman

• Moderators

I gotcha. I have to agree with you. Music is emotional, moving, captivating and has the potential to stir the soul. Pretty cool stuff.

I don't have a problem with little things not working perfectly if I'm happy with the overall sound especially when not paying what some companies ask.

I think that's a big part of it. The UMC-1 is currently $499. The next cheapest Pre/Pro that I can find is around $1500. I can deal with a few quirks if I'm saving$1000. [:D]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

My son and I watched Fast Five tonight. The UMC-1 performed very well. In my primary listening position, I felt more LFE than I have felt with the previous Yamaha receiver. The front two speakers sounded fantastic, the center channel I have to tweak. Rear effects were solid, yet not distracting. Overall a very cool movie. Lots of action, testosterone, fast cars, gunfights, explosives. It definitely will end up in my collection of Blurays. Definitely have some tweaking to do with the UMC-1 but still sounds very well for HT. If I can get the center channel dialed in, it's going to definitely be a keeper.

• Moderators

[Y]

If it sounds good with music, I don't see how it should have a problem with movies, may take alot of adjusting to get it just right. After spending some time with it I would think it will end up with a better sound in the end. [H]

This is great Youth. Definitely reconsidering this as an alternative to the Onkyo 5508 or the new 5509. Definitely would save a lot of money. I have always been so concerned about room calibration or room eq. But it sounds like if you are willing to put in some effort, you can save at least 1k as well as possibly receive a much better sounding device?

Congrats on your purchase. I hope it continues to work out for you.

• Moderators

Definitely do your homework on the UMC-1 as there are many different views on it's performance. Some have little to no issues, others are frustrated with it. It does have some known bugs/issues but in my setup, these are minimal and not deal breakers. Take a peak at the 7 pages of comments on my Initial Impressions of the UMC-1 in the Emotiva Forum. Theresa has evidently had a really bad experience with the UMC-1 and wants to make sure everyone knows it. LOL As I mentioned in that thread, I knew the risk, I knew the possible issues I might have and in the end was willing to give it a try.