Cartridge help

cyto

Hi everyone,

I just got a Technics SL-1200M3D to replace the Dual. I want to start with a new cartridge and need some advise on what would be a good fit.

Strictly home listening classic rock, jazz, blues and classical (those that frequent the RTM thread know what I listen to [:D] ).

I was thinking of an Ortofon 2M blue which retails for $225 but can be had for $199.

I need to stay in the $200ish price range and do not want to buy a used cartridge.

Thanks

David

This is the one I use. Moving Coil is a great step to happiness Big Smile Ortofon MC 20 Super. I have had it since 1987.

Is this in his budget? I can't find a price.

Thanks,

Dennie

The needledoctor has it for $899 Sad

Thanks David, that is what I thought. Nice, but in another league altogether! [^o)]

Dennie

This is the one I use. Moving Coil is a great step to happiness Big Smile Ortofon MC 20 Super. I have had it since 1987.

Is this in his budget? I can't find a price.

Thanks,

Dennie

The needledoctor has it for $899 Sad

Thanks David, that is what I thought. Nice, but in another league altogether! Hmm

Dennie

Yep Dennie, for me it would be in the "divorce lawyer" league [:S]

The Technics is a great turntable. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a used cart, you can get a very nice one on Audiogon without over spending. I got a very nice Clearaudio Aurum Beta for my Technics off of A-gon for half of what it sells new, and it was barely used. With a nice tube phono preamp the sound is amazing!

Hey David, what year was your TT made?

If it was 1987, I think this is a match made in Haven and you have to get one!! green.gif

...and you're right, Alimony and Vinyl purchases can be rough on the wallet! seeingstars.gif LOL

Dennie

I believe it was 1999 by looking at the serial # GE9FAO7049

Another vote for the Shure M97xE. I'm using it on a Technics SL-1210M5G and it sounds great.

After 5 years, I replaced the stylus for only $50 and it sounds great. I hadn't noticed a decline, but just thought that after five years, the suspension would no longer be at its best, and the magnets might no longer be in peak condition. In any case, the new stylus improved the sound.