Just out of Curiosity...

justin_tx_16

How come no one uses the Klipsch Commercial stuff for their dream home theaters?

I see that the THX®-Approved KPT-684 costs only ~$100 more than the RSW-15, or get two KPT-484's for the price of one RSW-15, a pair of KPT-325's only about $300 more than a pair of RF-7's, get 3 The KPT-100's for the price of two RS-7's or get the KPT-200, even better, for $400 more than a pair of RS-7's.

With this kind of system you would most certainly have the best Klipsch sound you could get for the price. These have amazing specs and great prices! Your home theater could be THX Certified! I see that you would probably need more power, but maybe not...

So, what are yall's guys feelings on this? And since I see this, would it be better than my 7.1 system out of 5 RF-7's and 2 RS-7's with dual SVS's or dual REL Strata III's? I sure think it would.

Let me know what you guys think Smile.gif And why you chose reference over commercial.

Yeah, they are not pretty, but we always say, sho cares about looks, we care about sound!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Mabey because they are for very big rooms, with many speakers, with lots of room treatment, with big $$$ amps, and walls you can hang something that big off of.

Anyways, most would say their HOME klipsch sounds better in their home, then pro Klipsch does at the theater.

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

quote:

Originally posted by John Albright:

Appearance?

John

not much worse than the Synergy speakers, and if you get a nice blakc cloth grill, i don't think you would notice a difference, and they are not very deep.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

zandern: LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I have my JBL Pro sub, here are the reasons pro theater gear is not popular:

-F'ing HUGE

-F'ing HEAVY

-UGLY, unless you think industrial stuff looks cool, I DO!!! I LOVE IT!!!

-No way to audition them (realistically)

-User friendly, huh?, you need sereous space and planning to make them to work (no hiding them or whatever, NOT fimily friendly)

Other than that, they are GREAT!!! Dynamic as hell, LOUD (ears bleeding loud enough), bullet-proof, sound GREAT (the "origional" sound), sensitive as hell (over 100dB. sensitivity), not too expensive.

I would use a FULL JBL Pro setup is I had the money, no question.

I will have to say, go with JBL Professional, THEY (not Klipsch), are the movie masters (3/4 of moviw theaters use them)

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

quote:

Originally posted by zandern:

Ask The Ear, Boa, Horn Ed, or one of the Klipsch moderators. Between the 5 of you I think you guys know everything there is to possibly know about audio.

haha, thanks Smile.gif Don't forget Ray Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Yeah, I've looked at the Klipsch pro subs - the big 18"s look yummySmile.gif

I've got a pair of JBL 4638 cabinets that I'm using for LFE/reinforcement, which are pro cabinets. I paid $432 for both, then purchased a used Crown amp to drive them, and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as a bass EQ ($800 total invested in entire bass kit). Pro is certainly a good option with Heritage Klipsch, especially at that price. The JBL's keep up with the rest of my Klipsch very well (and it's hard to find subs that do keep up with big Klipsch, to be sure).

Problem is, for Klipsch or JBL Pro gear at retail, the price tags are very high (and those prices don't include amp or EQ), so the larger home units such as SVS, Velo HGS, REL, etc are more friendly for home use, and have good output as well - enough for most home users. Another point worth noting: pro gear has poor WAF - if the wife hates the SVS, she'll hit the roof when she sees the pro stuff, although I've managed to conceal the JBL's behind the Cornwalls without too much trouble.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

*** Alpha Testing Complete ***

Yes, the biggest hurdle for pro gear is that is it SO HUGE and UGLY (I like it though!)

Pro gear in the home is reserved for men (I can't think of a woman that would want a 200lb. "black wart" in her house, if there is, COOL!!!) who are VERY dedicated to the hobby.

I like JBL Pro gear because it has an unconditional 5-year warranty. Even if you screw it up yourself, they will probably fix it. The best part is that when my 4648A-8 needed a recone (factory defective), they only wanted the woofer, I convinced them to pay shipping BOTH ways (you usually ship it, they return at their $$$) and they got it back to me in less than a week. Not bad JBL, not bad...

It is like having a Blue and Gold Macaw instead of a Parakeet, there is always a trade off.

HINT TO JUSTIN:

JBL told me that the cinema market is DEAD right now. Houston is a big city. See if you can find a JBL dealer in Houston and see if they would be willing to part with gear for cheap. I know there is a dealer in Dallas (its only 250 milesSmile.gif) Anyway, meybe you could get a good deal on cinema gear right now. If it needs to be ordered from JBL, you can forget a discount, I think only in stock items would be cheap.

Justin, with 15" 2-way pro gear, I would say 120-150 dB. without distortion. Get a dual 18" sub and ROCK your house...

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Justin, picture this. You are watching a DVD. Someone gets their brains blown out with a rocket launcher. The RF-7's woofers are WORKING. The pro speakers are doing all of a 1/8" excursion. That has got to mean somthing to the way it sounds.

If you want Klipsch pro gear, go for it! However, I would have to say JBL has more time and money in driver R&D and like I said, they have 3/4 of the cinema market. Al least look at jblpro.com, like the 3622N or 4622N, also the 3000 series. Or the 5000 Series, below...

ONE more thing Justin, you are looking at over 1,000 pounds of speaker, maybe closer to 1,500lbs., get a shipping quote before you get to excited, if they are locally available, you are OK.

JBL 5674, $6,000 each, THOSE WOOFERS ARE 15":

5674.jpg

------------------

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 05-09-2002 at 08:50 PM

yeah, i have seen the JBL stuff, it is all so very tempting, like the forbidden fruit in the garden of eden. Smile.gif but I want klipsch haha.

i think you could probably make the commercial stuff pretty nice looking if you worked on it.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Get JBL or I'll...Well, get klipsch.

Have you looked into getting them locally? I mean the shipping could be a grand if they cane from Arkansas or Indiana.

------------------

no, i am not getting the pro stuff, i would but i don't really need it. i was just thinking of the guys who spend crazy money on their home theaters and don't care what it looks like, just how it sounds. but still, getting a commercial sub would be a better value than the RSW's I think.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Yes, a pro sub would be VERY NICE! Make sure it is a single or dual (or quad...) 18" with 4" voice coils and a big, heavy cabinet.

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

no, i am not getting the pro stuff, i would but i don't really need it. i was just thinking of the guys who spend crazy money on their home theaters and don't care what it looks like, just how it sounds. but still, getting a commercial sub would be a better value than the RSW's I think.

justin_tx_16,

Thanks for clearing that up. Thought you had pretty much settled on speakers. Well a commercial sub would not be a big issue, you could easily conceal or camouflage that in a sizeable room.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Justin, there is quite a bit of interesting material on pro subwoofers and why they probably would not be a good choice for your needs and room size. Sure, if you had a live band in and wanted to make people's ears bleed... that's one thing. But, if you want the subtle nuances of recorded music or the moving experience of a hot action movie... I think you will find that upscale subs designed for home have different engineering goals than those designed to put a thump in an auditorium.

Years ago I had a partner in Texas that rented an old clubhouse we had on the grounds of some property that I was developing. The first I heard of it was when I was on top of a high pitched second story roof teaching a new patch of workers how to properly shingle a roof... at least a quarter-mile away from the old clubhouse. Suddenly, there was a blaring of raucous music, whomp-thumpin' bass and a screaching vocal. I nearly fell off the roof in my haste to find out what was going on.

The bandmembers were pretty good guys, really and they already had a couple of records that were doing well... but there was no way the rest of our residents were going to put up with the decibels... and they were more concerned with getting ready for a local concert than any long term living arrangement... whew!

But, to the point, I tried some of their pro gear against the pair of Klipchorns that I had in the main house on the property. Especially, I wanted to see if their pro subs could mate with the K-horns. Frankly, next to the smoothness of the K-horns down to 35Hz... their pro gear was about as subtle as a Mac truck that had lost its mufflers!

Somehow most people's ears interpret the intimate setting of a HT or Music System more critically than they do the pedal to the metal live concert in a big space. It takes more than raw SPL's to make bottom scraping bass a winner in the confines of even a large house. Remember, it is not only the equipment... it's also the envelope in which the sound emerges. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-10-2002 at 06:10 PM

Horned is right. Pro gear is made for shear output. Sure, some pro gear can sound quite nice, but when compared to reference series home audio speakers, it is much less refined and you lose detail and clarity. Of course I'm generalizing here but I believe it to be true in most cases. When was the last time you were at a theatre and you thought to yourself: "Wow the sound quality is really good" A lot of people mistake loudness for good sound quality. And that's what you get at theatres: Loud sound. Not necessarily good sound.

-UP

------------------

Will you marry me Natalie Portman?

To argue my case, Westlake Audio uses JBL Pro components, they supply mant recoeding studios in LA.

Also, to make what I am saying clear, I am talking about the 2226X driver and the $500 a pop horn tweeter drivers, NOT THE CHEAP PA cabs, I know those are crap. What I am saying, is if someone (let's not worrk about Justin's plan/budget ideas now, this is a seperate point)has big money to spend on a speaker, I think TOP END JBL PRO gear will rival consumer gear for dynamics and match/come close to the sound quality. If anything, it will be more durable.

There are many ways to argue this, but I have not heard/compared pro to consumer gear, so I am talking all theory here, so I am not saying I know it all.

------------------

Point taken Ken. Although I think we can all agree that generally speaking, home audio gear is designed to produce good accurate sound within home environments while pro audio gear is designed to produce sound with sufficient spl to accomodate larger environments (sometimes outdoors). Sure, good sound quality is also a major design consideration for pro speakers, but since huge output is also a consideration, sometimes it may compromise the sound quality in the design. With that said, I am sure JBL Pro stuff sounds great. If reference home audio stuff sounds better, it's probably subtle, (like all the tweaks and mods I do to my system) or it's just a personal preference. I guess it comes down to the individual speaker, in which case maybe I shouldn't generalize so much.

-UP

------------------

Will you marry me Natalie Portman?

This message has been edited by Underhanded Penguin on 05-11-2002 at 10:22 AM