KLF 20 Upgrades

Craig Anticich

Are you saying that as they came from the factory the speaker boxes were not rigid enough? I doubt I'll be cutting out the bottoms and adding more wood, I don't see how that could match. I feel a bit like I was just told "Yes, that BMW's a fine car, but if you replaced the engine, the suspension, the transmission and the brakes, and stiffened the frame, THEN you'd have something....

Some people catch on right away...

You do have something, and they are great as they were made. However, Moray thinks they will be be better, with internal bracing added. You would remove the woofer and add bracing, reglue/caulk the baffles, to make sure they are sealed well.

For me, unless they were coming apart, I would just enjoy. [Y]

Bruce

ps Welcome to the forums.

I agree with Bruce. I'd forget about the additional bracing. The only part that would vibrate that much would be the sides and mine don't do that too much. The only thing I did to mine was use Bob's networks and his Ti tweeter diaphragms and they sound fine.

Besides, all that additional bracing will decrease the cabinet's internal volume (not good for bass).

Ok so you are new here welcome to the greatest Klipsch forum there is and one of the finest forums there is period. I should have extended that welcome first.

You said " So, these upgrades: what's the deal? Is there truly an audible
difference? In other words, is it worth risking taking my speakers
apart?"

I may have droped you into the cold water but trust me I did not drop you into the deep end of the pool by any means. I gave you the fast upshot in my opinion of what to do with your KLF20. Your welcome. Yes the KLF20 is a great speaker which can be modified and rendered into a stunning loudspeaker because it has all the right stuff to get there. To me modification is not about little flavor changes it is about extracting the full potential possible from a product. If you honestly believe that that is the way the factory served it up then why ask in the first place? If you look at the link I posted you can see two different Klipsch speakers that I modified one pair a Quarter (which is the better job of the two) and a set of KLF20 which was a fast and dirty job but which turned out extremely well and was easy to do. If you check your cabinets for loose baffles there is a strong posibility they will be loose. No need to get into the why a problem the factory incountered wiht the adhesive the fix is not difficult but takes a little time. Many owners have zero idea the baffles are loose and I hear the "oh mine are just fine" all the tme most never check I bought two pairs and both had loose baffles. A good place to start as I said if the baffles are loose then removing them makes doing the brace work a breeze.

If you are interested in what I have done I am happy to help how ever I can. If however on the other hand all you really want is the easy breezy fast and ecconomical fix then here that is. Check the baffles and fix if necessary and if loose sell if you don't intend to fix. Change the tweeter diaphragms for Bob's Ti units and have Bob install all new and improved capacitors into the networks. That ought to put a large smile on your face and perhaps make you little curious about all the other stuff I mentioned.You don't have to do all this stuff all at once but I think that is the very best way of doing it. That's it and I hope that helps you to get where ever it is you want to with your KLF20. Parting suggestion If you are going to go to all this trougle then I would suggest that you find a pair of Epic series CF3 and listen to them. Modify the one that you like best. Best regards Moray James.

Quote: I'd forget about the additional bracing. The only part that would
vibrate that much would be the sides and mine don't do that too much.
The only thing I did to mine was use Bob's networks and his Ti tweeter
diaphragms and they sound fine.

Besides, all that additional bracing will decrease the cabinet's
internal volume (not good for bass).

Brace work won't even come close to two ten percent of cabinet volume it simply is not an issue. I did suggest that damping should be addressed and also adding additional volume which also acts as a riser to place the mid horn at the correct level. I would disagree with you about the impact of brace work, no panel should be left unbraced and all panels should be tied together with strapping if you want to achive the best possible results. It does make a difference. Sloppy panels obscure the bass and mid range your speakers do make it's a real problem that is easily solved. Best regards Moray James.

• 1 month later...

If you were good with wood working and could mod your cabinets, 6cf tuned to around 32hz would be a dramatic upgrade. The Ti tweeter also sounds like a worthy upgrade.

Sorry if you think my first suggestion sounds a little crazy but those 10" woofers really sing when in a larger volume of air. The KLF-20 and KLF-30 cabinets are way too small.