used value of RF-82 and RW-12d opinions needed

jordan122345

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am trying to decide what to do here.I could get the RF7's and then start working on the rest of the setup.Also I have been looking at a deal online for

RF82ii pair

RS52ii pair

RC62ii

SW310 sub

That setup brand new for $2600

I am upgrading(i hope this is an Upgrade)from

KLF10 pair

KSFS5 pair

KLFC7

KSW15

So if I do the rf7's everything else is gonna fall short.

• Moderators

Hopefully someone else will provide some additional input because I don't want you to base your system off my opinion alone.

The RF-82 or RF-82ii system is really a great system. They are what many consider to be a great bargain in the Reference line. Very capable speakers indeed. Nothing wrong with buying your entire system at once. You will have a
great setup and probably a system better than 99% of the people that you
know. The RF-7's are just in a different league altogether.

I've just enjoyed the search as much as the aquisition of my system. I did my research, went to local Klipsch dealers and demoed and found out I wanted either an RF-7 or RF-83 system for my HT. It's taken me several years to build my system but it's been a blast along the way.

There will always be something bigger/better than whatever you decide to buy. To me, the important thing is to find out what system will satisfy your needs and expectations and don't be afraid to build it over time. It's better to build it slow and build it right the first time than to "settle" on something that is less than what you want and end up regretting it down the road, selling it, losing money and end up buying what you originally wanted (been there, done that, bought the tshirt).

I have not personally heard the KLF10 system but I would venture to say that yes, the RF-82 would be an upgrade and the RF-7 would be a huge upgrade.

• Moderators

I looked at your zip on searchtempest and no subwoofers seemed to jump out at that price range. If you ended up buying the RF-7's, you could definitely get away with not having a subwoofer for awhile until you can find the right one at a good price.

• Moderators

I am using an Onkyo Integra DTR7.9 So it should have plenty of preouts and all that good stuff.

Looks like a sweet receiver.

I think I am gonna go look at the RF7's tomorrow

Definitely give them a listen. Some people find them too "bright". In comparison, the RF-82's will be more laid back.

• Moderators

I hope the RF7's are in good shape minus the cones of course.

Me too. I've owned two sets of RF-7's (currently own one pair) and they are fantastic speakers. If the woofer bothers you, you can always replace it.

I guess if I am able to get the RF7's, then let the upgrading begin.

Be careful, it's a neverending sickness...I mean hobby. LOL

As far as matching equipment to go with the RF7's do I need RS7's,RC7, or RC64, or RC64ii to go along with them

The RC-7 is the perfect match for the RF-7's since it is voicmatched to them. It's a great center channel. Not many centers have dual 8" drivers. If my memory serves me correctly, some in the forums have liked the RF-7/RC-64 combo and some have not.

also I want to thank you for all the help tonight too.You seem to be the only one responding for the most part anyways.

Absolutely. Most of us have been where you are at asking most of the questions. It's our way of giving back to the Klipsch community. You don't accumulate over 6000 posts doing something you don't enjoy. [:D]

You seem to be the only one responding for the most part anyways.

Shhhhh....it's 1:36am here so everyone else is probably asleep. LOL. I've been working on designing (13) 2-sided brochures for a customer so the occassional break is MUCH appreciated. [;)]

Glad to help.

That is the one thing with my current KLF C7 it also has dual 8" speakers for a center.

SO here is kinda what I have been contemplating a bit is my current system versus the RF82 system

KLF10 current fronts

dual 10" woofers 150 watts

RF82ii

dual 8" woofers 150 watts

RF7'

dual 10" woofers 250 watts

KLFC7 current center

dual 8"woofers 150 watts

RF62ii

dual 6.5" woofers150 watts

RC7

Dual 8"woofers 200 watts

Now of course they are all 3 different and the KLF's are about 10 years old too

• Moderators

Again, I have never heard the KLF series myself but if I had to take a guess, it would be RF7, then RF82ii, then KLF10.

I wouldn't get hung up on wattage. My previous Yamaha was rated at 130 watts x 7. In actual 3rd party bench test, it ended up being 130 x 2, 100 x 5 and 55 x 7. If you fed your speakers 150 watts continuous, I would imagine you would be deaf in no time. There are guys that run 10 - 20 watts into Khorns and it's about as loud as you want it to go.

what was that. I couldnt hear you. LOL sorry bad joke. Anyways I was actually more worried about the differences in the woofer sizes betwwen my current center and towers.Yeah the RF7's and RC7 are the same sizes. but what about the RF82 and RC62. Granted all new technology on both of the upgrades.But I do like the idea of the SW310($1050 retail) for free

Youthman and cornfed gave good advice, 82's good but not even in running with 7's, I've had both.I also have klf 20's, better also than 82's by a wide margin.The 20's while good are no match for 7's so I assume 10's are not.Get the 7's unless you're a lower volume listener.I have 2 rw12d subs and they do fine with the 82/83's but could not hold up with 7's, they need a superior sub, the rsw12/15 is perfect, of course other subs can work great too.For a smaller room the 82's work great with rw12d, in a larger room you need bigger speakers if you want a big sound, the 7's will deliver.