Phase and Parallel speaker wiring... benefits?

Schu

I am wondering what the benefits and draw backs of wiring in either Phase or Parallel are/might be?

sorry... wiring SPEAKERS, in phase or in parallel. My bad thanks. I am contemplating buying two monoblocks to run four speakers. I am just thinking for now.

Another potential issue with series connection of speakers is that the drivers no longer see the low source impedance of the amplifiier, as the driving impedance is now the amplifier impedance plus the other speaker's impedance. .

At frequencies where the impedance peaks, the driving impedance is even higher, resulting in less control over the voice coil movement. This (in theory) could result in sloppy sounding bass at the frequency peak - but the real test is how it sounds. (A good ear on the speaker to be used trumps the best theory and equipment.)

Another potential issue with series connection of speakers is that the drivers no longer see the low source impedance of the amplifiier, as the driving impedance is now the amplifier impedance plus the other speaker's impedance. .

At frequencies where the impedance peaks, the driving impedance is even higher, resulting in less control over the voice coil movement. This (in theory) could result in sloppy sounding bass at the frequency peak - but the real test is how it sounds. (A good ear on the speaker to be used trumps the best theory and equipment.)

Welcome to the forum!

Nice first post! Are you a sound pro?

wired either way? same sound delivery and quality the only difference being in the work that the amp is required to do?

not really....

if you have two 4 ohm speakers and you wire in parallel, you could damage your amp.

My experience is . impedeance aside, you need to wire identical speakers in series and different models of speakers are likely to be better wired in parallel. In the case of the same model speakers, their dip at the exact point becomes greater, which could damage your amp or blow a fuse....on the other hand...different model speakers are likely to have dips in different parts of the sound spectrum and are more likely to be able to be wired in parallel...assuming the amp can handle the new load 4ohm+4ohm in parallel becomes 2ohms. If the amp can't handle 2 ohms best to wire in parallel since 4 ohms plus 4 ohms becomes 8 ohms which is a number most amps can handle pretty easy.

Speakerfritz,

Help me out here, the last part of your statement has me confused. Both say diferent ohm loads but both say wired in parallel.

(assuming the amp can handle the new load 4ohm+4ohm in parallel becomes 2ohms. If the amp can't handle 2 ohms best to wire in parallel since 4 ohms plus 4 ohms becomes 8 ohms which is a number most amps can handle pretty easy.)

Don

I want to wire up four CW's. two per channel... what are my issues then? I assume in series would be 4ohms per channel... but what about these "dips"?

the amps I want to use are rated for 8 and 4 ohms

also, what does this do to the total harmonic distortion at high volumes?

"I want to wire up four CW's. two per channel... "

As long as they are identical Cornwalls, series connected is fine.

A friend of mine ran four identical Corwalls in series on an Ampzilla, the impact was unreal. He stacked his pair with the top one inverted. These days, one pair reside in the living room, and the other pair are in his shop.

It takes a real brute of an amplifier to run a pair in parallel