thoughts and value of a used Velodyne FSR-18 Subwoofer.vs 2 RW-12d's??

jordan122345

As long as the velodyne's amplifier is working properly, it would absolutely destroy the two klipsch subs. Even though the Velodyne is roughly 15 years old it is still highly regarded in th AV community. It has useable output down to 16 hz! I would buy the Velodyne's (what price are they asking?) and take it to a qualified service center and have them refoam th driver and check the amplifier. The FSR-18 is a HT monster and the kilpsch RW-12 is known as being a average subwoofer at best( very good at $300 but still average) fo HT.

That seems like a fairly reasonable price but I would try to offer $700. The sub new was over 2k but 15 years is a long time in the electronic community. Does he have it hooked up so you can demo it? Like I said, if you purchase it take it right to a service center and have it checked, you don't want to load and unload that beast more times than you have to.

15 years is a long time, its really a matter of time for the driver and amp

looks like newegg just reran there $300 rw12ds until they run out, ill have my 2nd rw12d today

but if your looking around the 1k area anyway keep an eye open for svs pb13 ultras as they can be had around 1k sometimes

heres another one to look at

http://emotiva.com/xref_sub12.shtm

and another

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=618

• Moderators

$785 is most definitley overpriced.

It might seem crazy but they sell every day on Ebay for that much. I'm not familiar with the FSR series but my HGS15's are about 10 years old and are still n incredible subs. The HGS15 typically sells on Ebay for $750 - $900 plus shipping. I paid $200 for my first one and $500 for the second but that's the only one's I've ever seen that cheap. I believe the FSR is older than the HGS series. They look just like my previous F1500 sub but have the higher 1250 watt amp of my HGS15 sub.

So there is another velodyne sub that came up for sale today near me.Velodyne HGS-15XBV for $500.I think I might give this guy a call and go look at it possibly.Is this the same sub that you have 2 of

That Velodyne is a great sub. It is the precurser to the fabled DD-15 and it will flat out pound.

Looks like a good price to me.

Bill

Yeah I am pissed off now.The guy posted it and I responded within minutes of him putting it on craigslist.I was the first too respond to him and as I sent my second email to him he said it was mine if I wanted it but that a guy offered him $400 a few minutes after I did.So I told him I will match that price no problem and I asked him a few more questions and then 10 minutes later he emails me and said he sold it too the other guy already.I do not like sellers like that at all.

• Moderators

So there is another velodyne sub that came up for sale today near me.Velodyne HGS-15XBV for $500.

Sorry the HGS15 didn't work out for you. That is a great sub and definitely a very low price from the going rate. Here is one on Ebay that has a starting bid of $650 + $135 shipping. It will sell. Link

That stinks that it was sold out from under you. Great deals don't last long. Did the seller know you were on your way to look at it? With Craigslist, it's typical of first one with the cash gets the deal but if you were on your way to look at it, that's not cool. If you had merely expressed interest, I don't blame him for not holding it for someone he didn't know.

• Moderators

Is this the same sub that you have 2 of

To answer your question, yes, that's the same subs that I have. Mine are in piano black finish.

Bill is correct, the HGS was the version just prior to the DD Series. It's the same exact sub minus the room correction software and mic.

So the guy said that the other buyer gave him a deposit through paypal and was gonna buy some other stuff from him.What other stuff WTF.Oh well I will keep looking.In the meantime the 2 RW-12D's that I ordered were delivered today.One has something broken off inside the sub and both had at least 2 pegs broken on the grills.I called new egg about the busted one and they are gonna send out a new one, So they say.And the other one I will call Klipsch tomorrow about getting a new grill.I will test them out and see what I think and go from there.

• Moderators

I called new egg about the busted one and they are gonna send out a new one, So they say.

Newegg will hold true to their word. They have one of the best Customer Service Dept I have ever dealt with. Recently had a bad hard drive, contacted them, they emailed me a call tag, I shipped it out. Once they received it, they sent me the replacement. Very quick process too.

• Moderators

For comparison...

Velodyne FSR 15 for sale FSR15 for $600. (keep in mind the FSR15 only has a 250 watt amp vs the 1250 watt amp in the FSR18)

Velodyne FSR 18 with DD18 Driver with amp recently rebuilt for $900 - Link

If an 18" sub is what you are looking for, keep in mind they do not come up too often since most people cannot afford that much space to devote to a sub. If you really like that one, offer him $500 cash today? Never hurts to ask.