Newbie trying to put together his 1st surround sound system....

yavozerb

I currently own the Klipsch Quintet III and KSW-10. I have never had any experience outside the boxed surround sound systems which did not require a seperate receiver to power the system. My question is what brand of reciever do you guys recommend to power these speakers? The system would be used lightly for occasional movie and music so I have been looking at recievers in the 250$ or less range. Thanks

I plan on holding to this receiver for at least 4-5 years if possible and yes I do have an HD Tv. Plan on getting a blue ray player after I purchase this receiver. I guess since I am not a huge mover watcher and mainly use the surround sound on sporting events on tv I am simply looking for something basic which provide a good audio experience. Any help would be great, thanks everyone...

thats a tight budget. No matter what you buy, in 5 years it is going to be outdated. Fortunately, if you look at things, often do you actually buy a new tv or equipment unless it breaks right? With receivers, power is an important factor but so are some of the creature comforts. Dont bother to look at samsung or insignia as an option, i have a sony receiver from 10 years ago and it works but it just doesnt compare to the brands i mention in the next sentence. Do look at denon, onkyo, marantz, harman kardon and pioneer. I just bought a marantz SR5005 from outlawaudio.com, its $500 but its a great piece of machinery so far, its normally around 800, its a slightly older model but a good one. Onkyo will probably offer you the best bang for the buck, denon is great quality but not necessarily as good a bargain as onkyo, marantz is good but generally more expensive than onkyo and denon and harman karadons new line is rather bare bones but in the past has always been a rock solid receiver company ( they made the very first receiver ). Others like yamaha and i feel i always need to say this.....they suck for power and a lot say they are on the bright side. With that said, i have never owned and dont plan to own one. Others will swear by it and its a personal opinion so i wont knock anyone for how they feel about a product.

check out www.vanns.com to get your feet wet and see what products they have

Is there a specefic remote you guys usually buy to handle everything or does the remote that comes with the reciever usually do the job? Just wondering since the remote that came with my reciever does not look like it would be that great for my att uverse. So if I want to run everything to my onkyo al I simply have to do is use an HDMI cable from my onkyo to my tv, cable (uverse) box, and another to my DVD (3 seperate HDMI cables total used), correct?

• Moderators

I love my Harmony One. I can easily go online and download all of the remote codes for each A/V Component. Now that I have everything setup, all of my kids (5yrs and older) can pick up the remote and hit Watch Movie and all electronics power on, go to the appropriate video input, projector comes on and the lights dim. When they finish, they hit Power Off and everything shuts down. Can't get much easier than that.

Is there a specefic remote you guys usually buy to handle everything or does the remote that comes with the reciever usually do the job? Just wondering since the remote that came with my reciever does not look like it would be that great for my att uverse. So if I want to run everything to my onkyo al I simply have to do is use an HDMI cable from my onkyo to my tv, cable (uverse) box, and another to my DVD (3 seperate HDMI cables total used), correct?

I have the onkyo 509. It's a quality avr. Should be able to provide plenty of power for sporting events. I only use mine in 3.1 mode as it's not my primary HT avr but I do like what it offers for the price. I use the onkyo remote for my tv, the onkyo, and my cablebox. When I power off the tv the onkyo shuts off and same when I power on the tv. I also run my bluray, apple tv, and cablebox into the 509 and just 1 hdmi from the 509 to the tv. While it is only a 5.1 it can be made into a 7.1 with an external 2 channel amp. Full iPod connectivity.

I am kind of confused with where I need to run cable from and to. I currently have an HDMI cable running from my reciever to my cable box and nothing running from my reciver to my tv, is that ok? I ask, cause my settings seem to keep changing when my tv is shut off, primarily my 1080p setting keeps reverting back to 4:3..not sure why, any suggestions?

Ya that does the easiest but I guess I gotten used to simply hitting one button on my Uverse remote and turning on both my tv and cable. and going from there. Right now all I have is the onkyo remote which came with the receiver and I do not think I can turn on all the units with just one button, but I might be wrong...Did you have to buy a specialty remote or did you just a standard remote? Also, any idea why my tv settings (change from 1080 to 4:3) would change every time I shut off the unit?