An audio regret of mine, name yours too, i want to hear it!

SuBXeRo

Just a thought:

I have the UPA-5 driving my Heresy speakers. With no signal you can hear a pin drop in the room.

This wasn't true until I put in a coax isolation transformer on the line coming into my cable box.

Does removing the coax to you TV or cable box change the noise in any way?

What about just the XPA-5 and speakers connected?

I regret selling my Canary Audio CA-300 SET amps and George Wright Preamp that I used with with simple A crossover Belles. This was one of the best sounding complete systems I have owned. I sold my SET and Wright gear to try high powered tube amps due to curiosity. I tried McIntosh MC30's and Onix 5881 amp and various higher powered ss amps. My system never had the high quality sound with 3d soundstage as the Canary Audio and Wright and Belle combo. I'll replicate the system again someday as it was a real winner.

Never sell Heritage speakers LOL.....

but I miss that sansui

Get another one and quit regretting it. I love mine and wouldn't give it up for anything.

I have so many regrets and they all have to do with selling equipment and thinking that I would just replace it. Long story short, in my early 20's I had a ton of German equipment, Saba and Revox and for those of you that never had the opportunity to listen to Saba tube radios and the receivers they made I can only say that if you get the chance you should. It was a time when my now X-1 drained my accounts and put me in a bind and I sold all of it and have never been able to get it replace it.

The up side of all of that is that now I've got some fine Klipsch speakers and some other wonderful pieces and a really cool community to go down the road with all over again; but I really want my German stuff back.[:P]

i am doing a full on barrage of tests tonight as my last effort. If i come up with noise in the amp tonight, well, its already on craigslist, if it has noise i am selling it for sure and i think i am going to get an outlaw 7125 and i can get a discount price becaus ei bought the sr5005 and they have a package deal on both the components.

Being that emotiva and outlaw are competitors, the gentleman i spoke to at outlaw he did point out something i overlooked in the past and it was how emotiva tested their power ratings at 1khz and outlaw tests theirs at full range so although there is less power stated by the outlaw, they have encompassed a full range. The THD is also lower as well although at this point alot of isnt becomming reference and inaudible. I also asked is this amp dead silent and he replied with "it should be dead ailent with no audible noise produced" which is what i am looking for.

I will chime in with results

i have tested. i have seen. i have lost. As a very basic test i connected all 5 of my speakers to the amp with zero rca connections to the amp, not even the cords attached. I plugged it into the wall and i got static from the tweeter and no humm/buzz from the woofers. Thats a step in the right direction. I then added my rotel to the mix, connected to the same outlet on a power strip only shared by the amp the the rotel. I then connected my L/R channel via shielded RCA, boot it all up and i have the same hum/buzz in the woofers and slight static in the speakers as i get with my UMC-1. No connections were made to my rotel aside from a rca-3.5mm jack where i used my phone to play music. I changed one of the rca cords out and it cut down on the woofer hum which is good but the tweeter is louder. I did just call emotiva and spoke to a tech and we discussed some things and he sys it is a kilowatt of power we are dealing with and high amplifier gain which are exasorbating things.

I dont know what this really tells me. Is it a ground loop? Is it an issue with the amp that when it receives a voltage it creates noise? I dont know if is hould be happy or sad.

Are you going to try the Outlaw? I found half of my static was somehow caused by Audyssey. I'm not sure exactly what it was changing but it made playback sound horrible. Though I only heard a slight buzz in my tweeters and nothing playing if I put my ear to it. Can you hear it when it is at your listening position?